Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ezekiel 36

Message: A beautiful and rich message to Israel regarding the Grace of God.

Time: Ezekiel is given a message by the Lord.

What the Lord is Saying:

Israel had received attacking words, possibly what was spoken of in the last chapter as coming from Mount Seir (Edom). And now the Lord gives Israel encouragement. They are told that the Lord will take care of those that speak wrongly against them. He is aware of the shame they have suffered and the Lord lets them know he cares for them. They will have abundant crops. Your animals will increase as well and your prosperity will increase. Once again, you will know that "I am the Lord."

It is interesting, this is the first time I have seen the phrase "I am the Lord" used in regards to a blessing or something good that will happen to people versus something bad.

And you will not be mocked or insulted. God will not allow it.

This does not mean the Israelite's are not sinners. In fact, the Lord reviews their transgressions. Their conduct and evil was like a woman's menstrual cloth (unclean). Their was murder and idolatry in the land and their were consequences for their actions. As I scattered them to other lands, they did not bring glory to the name of the Lord.

But, the people were brought back to their holy land by the Lord, not because they did good deeds but because the Lord must protect His name. "Nations will know that I am the Lord." This is the key. The focus is that the Lord is the Lord. The focus is not on the good deeds of his people.

The Lord will give you:

  • a new heart (clean water)
  • a new spirit
  • your sins (filth) will be washed away
  • you will no longer worship idols
  • the Lord will give you a tender, responsive heart 
  • He will place the Spirit within you 
  • Your stony, stubborn heart will be taken out. 
  • My Spirit in you will have you follow my decrees and you will be careful
  • You will live in the land I promised you and your ancestors
  • You will be My people. I will be Your God
  • Your filthy behavior will be no more
  • You will good crops of grain
  • I will send no more famines on the Land
  • The surrounding nations will no longer think you are in a bad situation
  • You will have great harvests from your fruit trees and fields
  • You will repent and not want to sin anymore
  • You will be numerous again
  • Their will be celebrations
  • Prayers will be answered
But, remember, I'm not doing this because you deserve it. I am doing this so people will know that "I am the Lord." 


Promise: To Israel, "I am bringing you back, but not because you deserve it. I am doing it to perfect my holy name."


-- Words from Tabletalk reading of October 3, "Salvation for God's sake." -- "We do not get a new heart as a consequence of faith but faith is a consequence of us have been given a new heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment