Thursday, May 29, 2014

Romans 1:16 - The Power of God for Salvation

Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Message: "Not ashamed of the One who saved my soul, Not ashamed of the one who made me whole."

Time: Written sometime in AD 57-58, probably from Corinth, at the end of Paul's third missionary journey.

What the Lord is Saying:

I love how Paul further clarifies his message and his passion for the things of God.  In verse 15, he mentioned that he was "eager" to preach the gospel. In verse 8, he expressed his thanks to the church in Roma for proclaiming their faith. In verse 9, he serves God in the gospel. Verse 12 speaks of the fact that encouragement is found in each others faith. In verse 1 he already stated that he was set apart for the gospel.

Already in his opening of this letter to the church in Rome he has communicated repeatedly the significance of the Gospel in his life. And yet, now in verse 16, he feels like it is further important to clarify once again that he is not ashamed of the Gospel. It would seem, based upon what he has already said, that verse 16 isn't even necessary. He has said he is "set apart," "serves God," "eager," "thankful to others," "Encouragement found in others." All of these passions and desires and priorities in him and his life concerning the gospel. And yet he still feels compelled to say he is "not ashamed."

It is almost like he wants to cover every base. And this idea of not being ashamed seems to be so key to present. It really is penetrating to me because I can be a person who is often very interested in what people think of me. I want to be the fun guy that people like. I want to do things that people admire. And yet I know I live in a world where the gospel and God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit and the words of Christ and message of the Gospel is not being held in high form. Yes, we hold it up high within the confines of our churches and within our small Christian groups, but as we live in the world, associate with the world, and ofter intertwine ourselves with the things of the world we can be trained by the ideals of the world. Very often, the gospel of God stands in opposition the father of lies and the world he is creating and proclaiming.

And while I may sing in church or in a Christian concert that I am "not ashamed" my words in the public life sometimes are not as quick in their proclamation.

But this is not just a one verse message in the Bible.

Psalm 40:9 - "I have proclaimed glad tidings of righteousness in the great congregation; Behold, I will not restrain my life, O Lord, you know."

Psalm 40:10, "I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have spoken of Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your loving-kindness and Your truth from the great congregation."

Psalm 71:15, "My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness, of Your salvation all day long." 

Psalm 71:16, "I will come with the mighty deeds of the Lord God; I will make mention of Your righteousness, Yours alone."

Psalm 119:46, "I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings, and shall not be ashamed."

Jesus speaks in Mark 8:38, "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."  And repeated in Luke 9:26, "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when He comes in His glory, and of the Father and of the holy angels."

I Corinthians 2:2, "For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified."

2 Timothy 1:8, "Therefore, do not be ashamed of the testimony of the Lord, or of me His prisoner; but join with in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God."

2 Timothy 1:12, "For this reason I suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day."

1 Peter 4:15-16, "By no means let any of you suffer as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler; but if as a Christian (you suffer), let him not feel ashamed, but in that name let him glorify God." 

The gospel is quite simply good news. "Have you any good news for me today?"

There are 73 verses in the NT that speak of the Gospel and how it is to be proclaimed, lived, suffered for, a part of our life.

What is the Gospel. God came to earth as a man. Born as a virgin. Called Emmanuel ("God with us."). Jesus lived a life without sin. Jesus crucified. The substitute for our sin. Died. Raised or resurrected to a new glorified life. His life, death, and resurrection happened. In Christ I can be new.

The Lord Jesus bore our sin. 

I Corinthians 15:1-11
  • Christ died for our sins
  • He was buried
  • He was raised on the third day
  • He appeared to Cephas, then then 12
  • He appeared to more than 500
  • He appeared to James, then the apostles
  • He appeared to me, Paul

I Corinthians 1:17-25
  • The gospel is to be preached
  • Not in cleverness of speech so it is not void
  • It is to those who are perishing
  • It saves those who believe
  • Preach Christ crucified
  • The Power of God
Thus far, though, I have only looked at the first part of the verse. Yes, Paul says he is not ashamed of the Gospel of God. But, there is a reason he is not ashamed, because it is the power of God for salvation. The gospel has saved him.

The gospel of God is not the power of man. If man makes the gospel a set of rules that must be followed or a set of steps then it is no longer the power of God, but instead some sort of man-God package. But, Paul is so clear in that the gospel is the Power of God.

Promise: It is God's power and His power alone that saves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment