Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Romans 9:19-20a - Answering Back to God

Romans 9:19-20a - 19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” 20a On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God?

Message: Answering Back to God

Time: Romulus founded ancient Rome about 753 BC. By 600 BC it had become a wealthy, flourishing city with a monarch. Around 500 BC, the monarch was overthrown. A republic resulted and after war, Rome became the only great power in the Mediterranean, succeeding the empire of Alexander the Great. Before and after the birth of Christ, Rome's dominion continued to expand to about two thirds the size of the continental US. At the time Paul wrote, Rome had a population of about 1,000,000. Most were slaves. It was a vast empire, but had many religions present. It is unknown how the church started in Rome, but Gentiles and Jews both were involved. Paul was writing to address a problem, but he wanted to be there and perhaps, make Rome his base for his missionary journey's

What the Lord is Saying:

Background
This section of scripture continues to speak of God's sovereignty and election. To be sovereign is to act according to His pleasure. Election is the act of God whereby in eternity past God chose those who will be saved. So God doesn't choose those who will have faith. He chooses those who will be saved and they then have faith.

Here is the outline I have been using from biblepilot.com:

  1. 9:1-5 Anguish for Israel
    1. 9:1-3 Paul’s deep love and grief (Exodus 32:32)
    2. 9:4-5 Israel’s extraordinary heritage
  2. 9:6-29 God’s sovereign election and mercy
    1. 9:6-8 Children of the promise
    2. 9:9-13 Election illustrated by Israel and Edom
    3. 9:14-18 God’s purpose and mercy illustrated
      1. 9:14-16 Mercy on Moses (Exodus 33:19)
      2. 9:17-18 Hardened Pharaoh (Exodus 9:34 – 10:1)
    4. 9:19-24 The sovereign potter’s preparation
    5. 9:25-26 Inclusion of gentiles declared by Hosea
    6. 9:27-29 Exclusion of Israel declared by Isaiah
  3. 9:30-33 Pursuit of righteousness
    1. 9:30-31 Success by faith. Failure by works.
    2. 9:32-33 The stumbling stone
I have seen examples presented to show me how God is sovereign and His election is right. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Esau, Pharaoh, Moses have all shown me that God has mercy on whom He has mercy and hardens whom He desires. God has a purpose and that is all I need to know. It is for His glory, to His power, and I continue to proclaim His name.

Personal Reflection
There is something difficult about these verses. On Sunday, at our home group bible study, we talked about how we often hear from God or experience God in our life. Sometimes, there is challenge in Jesus words to us. "Come follow Me leaving father and mother" or "Go and make disciples." These are often commands and carry with them a price. They are a push to ourselves to do something. But, other times Jesus words are a comfort and remind us we are safe, such as "I will give you rest" or "I am the light of the world." And we talked about what do you need to hear more of in your life right now.

I thought that I tend to focus more on the commands. Life seems more about doing something. I often look at life and see what I need to do. And yet, in these verses, they are really more about resting in what God has done for us. He has done it all for me. I am to trust God. I can have peace that God has had mercy on me. Though I don't really comprehend how that has happened and why it has happened to me and not others I see, I can still rest in that.

And I need to rest in that. I need that reminder. I need to listen to the voices that are encouraging me. The new church we are going has fantastic worship music. All of the leaders are phenomenal, but my wife and I are actually a little partial to this female leader that plays the piano. Not sure what it is, but is is very warm and inviting and very encouraging. But, I admit, sometimes I struggle singing those songs and reflecting on what God has done. It is just hard for me at times to rest in God's promises.

A Question
So, in these verses, there is a little bit of a struggle, not so much for me, for I know my security, but for the other guy. After verse 18 which said "So then" to explain verse 17, Paul now in verse 19 uses a question that obviously comes from the reader or listener. The question seems appropriate. If God determines who he will have mercy on or harden, then what responsibility does man really have before God? But, Paul will show that God being sovereign doesn't free man then of being responsible. It doesn't free man of fault or guilt before God.

The accounts in the Old Testament are all about God finding fault with the obedience of His people. It does seem odd that there would be such a concern of disobedience from God toward His people when He has mercy and hardens who He desires. And this is a question that does not immediately have an answer from Paul. Instead he will ask more questions.

There is an answer to this question (verse 22), but for now our focus must be on God and trusting Him and believing Him.

Remember who we are dealing with
And Paul clarifies this further in verse 20, "On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God?" This is important. We need to understand our place in this world. God is our maker, our creator, and the sustainer of life. He does choose us. And so God should be allowed to do what God wants to do. Surrender to him and accept His hand of providence. Don't try and take control. That's what people want over and over. They don't want to admit it. The atheist just wants control. The atheist is trying to convince us that God doesn't know what He is doing. They are looking at the outcomes of life and assuming the worst outcomes and therefore, not trusting God.

God wants me to believe Him. And then, God wants me to trust Him. I think it can be summarized like that.

It is kind of sad in life to hear of where people sit with God. I was at a sports bar the other day talking to a man that went to my alma mater. He had clearly grown up going to church and then went to a religious institution. I asked him if he went to church and his reply was, "No, I couldn't convince my wife to go after we got married." To hear those words kind of were a stinger. That there was first no value in church, but also that something must have happened for her in church. And then, for this man, that church wasn't something to fight for. That church was something that we could live without and it was really just about making a choice. When I hear that, my first impression is that these folks have something with God that is kind of small. In the words of Steve Taylor, "It's a personal thing and I find it odd You would question my believing in a personal God; I'm devout, I'm sincere, ask my mother if you doubt it;
I'm religious but I'd rather not get radical about it."

I didn't probe him further. I wanted to. I really did. But, taking that extra step and asking "why" is a hard next step for me to take. I need to take it more. But, with him, I didn't feel comfortable.

The bottom line is I am to walk through life trusting God, even if that means not understanding everything that is before me.

One of the guys from our home group said Sunday, "I'm reading the Bible right now, but nothing is coming from it." Just stay with it. Don't give up. Stay consistent. It will come alive again.

Promise: From Tabletalk, July 15, 2014, "Our most Holy creator is a God of purpose. He has reasons -- good reasons -- for everything that He does. We can be confident that the Lord's choice to save some and leave others in their sin is not made on a whim, even though He has not revealed all His reasons for choosing those who He does for redemption." 

No comments:

Post a Comment