Saturday, July 22, 2017

Proverbs 20:22 - Awaiting God's Deliverance

Proverbs 20:22
Do not say, “I will repay evil”; Wait for the Lord, and He will save you.

Message: Awaiting God's Deliverance

Time: King Solomon is the principal writer of Proverbs. Solomon's proverbs were penned around 900 B.C. In the Book of Proverbs, Solomon reveals the mind of God in matters high and lofty and in common, ordinary, everyday situations, too. It appears that no topic escaped King Solomon's attention. Matters pertaining to personal conduct, sexual relations, business, wealth, charity, ambition, discipline, debt, child-rearing, character, alcohol, politics, revenge, and godliness are among the many topics covered in this rich collection of wise sayings.

What the Lord is Saying: I notice in life that I desire people to get what I think they deserve. I hate how I actually enjoy seeing acquaintances struggle or have difficulty. Granted, I don't want them to be poor. And there is also something in me that likes seeing a person suffer. Like Tiger Woods, who cheated on his wife for many nears, then got found out. Ever since, he has struggled with his golf game. Granted, there are other reasons, but there is some sense of justice in me that likes the fact that he is struggling. 

I have a just God. He is fair. And at times, I also want to be the judge. But, in this scripture, I see the admonition that I need to wait. I need to wait for the Lord. It is not for me to repay evil. God will save me. 

Now, I think this verse speaks of someone wronging me. It could be singling out a mistake I've made at work, which happens. It could be saying something that infers that I am not doing my job, which happens at work and even happens at home. I know that I am hypersensitive to criticism. In those moments, I want to speak out. I want to defend myself. I want to basically say, "I'm not taking that from you." I do this. I actually wonder here if the very act of getting defensive is a mechanism in me to want to repay evil. I basically am thinking, "You're wrong."  

And then I often struggle with anger when someone doesn't get what I think is coming to them. I need to work on not being so sensitive. 

Promise: If I trust in the Lord for vengeance and pray that He will make me patient with sinners just as He is patient with sinners, the Spirit will enable me not to seek vengeance when it is not appropriate to do so. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for this instruction. I see now how quick I am to defend myself. I see how quickly I feel someone attacking me and how quickly I want them to experience my wrath. Lord, help me to wait on You. Help me Lord to let you take care of the situation. I want to believe this God. I want to believe that You are in control and act upon it in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment