Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Song of Solomon 8:13-14 - The Only Love That Can Fully Satisfy

Song of Solomon 8:13-14

He
13 O you who dwell in the gardens,
with companions listening for your voice;
let me hear it.
She
14 Make haste, my beloved,
and be like a gazelle
or a young stag
on the mountains of spices. looking through the lattice.

Message: The Only Love That Can Fully Satisfy

Time: Solomon wrote the book during his reign as king of Israel, meaning he composed it sometime between 971 and 931 BC.

What the Lord is Saying: 

According to my Bible, these two verses are the voices of the man (v. 13) and the woman (v. 14). These are the last 2 verses of the book. They seem to echo a sentiment that has been present throughout the book, the longing of each person to be with the other person.

He Speaks (v. 13)
The bridegroom calls upon the (Shulammite) woman to let his friends, who have come to congratulate him on his bride's safe return, listen to him. She seems to reside in the garden, perhaps a special spot for her. Like Solomon, I notice a simple delight in hearing the voice of my bride, my wife. Many voices of my day can make me impatient and I tire sometimes with people, but with my wife I never tire. I always look forward to her speaking. Often I feel like I am saying these words of Solomon, "let me hear it." It is possible the bride here is singing a song which she sang early on in their courtship. In essence, real love lasts.

She Speaks (v. 14)
In answer to his request, she sings. And her words point back to him and draw him in once again. His desire for her is met. He asks her to possibly sing or speak something from the past, a song that represented the foundation of their relationship. This verse echoes back to chapter 2, verse 9 when se says My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag, there he stands behind our wall, gazing through the windows, looking through the lattice. Gazelle is used multiple times in this book. She uses gazelle to describe the dancing around or the way he leaps in her heart. He uses gazelle several times when talking of intimacy, namely her breasts, to speak of the delicate nature of them, it would seem. Delicate seems to speak of their smaller proportion. Bigger breasts are not appealing or attractive. The stag and gazelle also point to the speed at which he is coming for her.

On the mountains of spices paints a picture of ascending to a high place. Standing on the mountain results in a feeling that you are top of it all. And the spices augment this with a sweet aroma. Paul remarked that man is to love his wife and here the bride is experiencing the result of that great love. Once again, she is being set apart and is distinct from all others. How it hurts a woman to be compared to. My wife told me early on in our marriage that the thing that saddens her the most is my wandering eye. She dislikes seeing men peer at other women with their wife right next to them. It should not be done at all, but then it is done in her presence. This should motivate me. And yet I find myself digressing from this in moments of anger or resentment. And yet how childish this is. It's like I'm looking elsewhere having a temper tantrum of sorts. My love and devotion needs to be more mature. My wife envelopes everything I desire and there should be no reason ever to look elsewhere. So, let this verse be a reminder of the continual need to pursue my wife. 

Promise: It is true that God's love for us is the only that fully satisfies, and yet in this picture of marriage here is an encouragement to pursue one another. Obviously, as I age, that changes. We don't move around as fast and neither is in as good of shape. The times of intimacy are less, but they are still valuable. What I realize is my need to savor all that I have, even if what I have is different in these times. And in return, I see more and more the fullness of my relationship in Christ, who never changes. 

Prayer: Lord, I want to trust in You alone and I want to thank you for the gift of my wife. Her words are what I look forward to hearing each day. Her presence is what I value. Help me to center always on her and her alone. Keep me pure Lord and my eyes focused loving my wife and her alone. Forgive me for me not keeping vow, but today I begin again. Thank you for her faithfulness and the sweet gift that she is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment