Thursday, February 8, 2018

Mark 5:14-17 - Afraid of Jesus

Mark 5:14-17
14 Their herdsmen ran away and reported it in the city and in the country. And the people came to see what it was that had happened.15 They *came to Jesus and *observed the man who had been demon-possessed sitting down, clothed and in his right mind, the very man who had had the “legion”; and they became frightened. 16 Those who had seen it described to them how it had happened to the demon-possessed man, and all about the swine. 17 And they began to implore Him to leave their region.

Message: Afraid of Jesus

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

As I mentioned earlier, the farmers in this community were Jewish and therefore, they did not have any pigs. Pigs were considered unclean animals as the Law had prohibited them from being an animal they could eat. When Jesus released the demon from the man, the demons, including Legion, were vanquished to swine, 2,000 of the swine that then periled to their death. But, these were herdsmen that came to them. The herdsmen were the owners of the swine and so they came to Jesus, probably a little shocked as to what had happened to their animals and maybe even wondering if they were going to be recompensed. And as the herdsmen came to Jesus they saw the demon-possessed man (maybe someone they had seen previously) and now he was no longer demon-possessed, but instead was in his right mind...and they became frightened. But rather than seeking to know God's love, they were afraid at what had happened. They were astonished at what had happened.

But in this moment, their concern was for the loss of their swine.  They wondered how it had happened to the man, but also about the swine. And they began to implore Him to leave their region. They were concerned about losing more as they had lost 2,000 swine. This Jewish man was powerful. They saw this and they became concerned that his power would adversely affect them more. As herdsmen they were not Jewish. There was fear in him and what may happen to them.

In previously looking at the given of the Gospel, the word, the seed upon different soils, there were 4 different responses and 3 of those responses rejected the seed. Here is an example of people not embracing the message, but instead they were concerned of themselves. Perhaps they saw themselves unworthy. Perhaps they saw a big difference between Jesus and themselves. Perhaps their sin is thought to be too great.

Promise: Unholiness cannot bear the presence of holiness. People who don't look at his goodness, but instead of how they might be affected by Him in an adverse way, don't come to Christ and embrace Him. The reality is many don't understand Jesus and reject him in many different ways.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for healing me, for touching me and helping me to see the need I have for You. Again Lord, give me compassion on those that don't see you. Help me to not be quick to judge them or look down on them or even to put a division between me and them, thinking that I am somehow superior to them because of seeing You for who you are. Lord, let their be love in my life first, not judgment. Let there be understanding. You love me, you understand me and accept me for who I am. And then as the gospel is implanted in my life, I can't help but to change. I can't help but be a new person, a new creation in Christ. I see this, but I know others do not. Again Lord, thank you for saving me and giving me the perspective I now have in You. 





No comments:

Post a Comment