Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Mark 8:16-21 - The Disciples' Hardness

Mark 8:16-21
16 They began to discuss with one another the fact that they had no bread. 17 And Jesus, aware of this, *said to them, “Why do you discuss the fact that you have no bread? Do you not yet see or understand? Do you have a hardened heart? 18 Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember, 19 when I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces you picked up?” They *said to Him, “Twelve.” 20 “When I broke the seven for the four thousand, how many large baskets full of broken pieces did you pick up?” And they *said to Him, “Seven.” 21 And He was saying to them, “Do you not yet understand?”

Message: The Disciples' Hardness

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Preface: Jesus continues his journey to preach the Gospel: Repent and Believe. Along the way I see 3 main ideas mentioned:
1. Healings that Jesus performs;
2. Lessons primarily to the disciples about the power of God.
3. Questions from the Pharisees about the validity of Jesus.
In the previous 2 verses, there was 1 verse from the disciples that there was no bread and Jesus responded by talking about the leaven of the Pharisees. I was a little bewildered with the leaven response after the exclamation from the disciples that they had no bread, but I suppose we are picking that up here now.

R.C. Sproul states, “We all need to examine ourselves in the light of God’s Word to be sure the deadly leaven of the Pharisees is not working in us, blinding us to the light and making us deaf to the life-giving Word.” Various places in the Bible it mentions that we need to guard our hearts. We need to not think that simply going to church every week or even reading our Bible regularly keeps us safe from temptations we have in our lives to have our light blinded. We always need to be on the alert.

Now I see the link between those words yesterday about the leaven and the disciples being more focused on the current condition of not having bread. The disciples are often staring at seemingly shortages in providence and assuming that their lack of something is a problem. Jesus clearly doesn't want them to worry about things. Instead of worrying God wants us to ask him for what we need. But their shortsightedness is frustrating to the Lord. He was saying to them, “Do you not yet understand?”

Do you have a hardened heart? - This seems like a strong statement by Jesus. I mean, a hardened heart because they are not trusting God for his providence but instead worried about their next meal? That's it. They are worried about their next meal. They are worried. And Jesus is like, "don't you get it. You can trust me."

But, I struggle with even this. I spend so much of my day worrying. I'm concerned about so many things. But, aren't these things to trust God on? Or are they? I think that is where I struggle. I mean, how far-reaching do I apply this? For instance, my son and his problem of not listening to us. The fact that he comes home late at night sometimes, after midnight, way past our curfew. He isn't out every night late, but sometimes, maybe once a week he will come home at 2am. Do I say anything? Sometimes I do. His behavior will change one evening and then he will be back at it. Do I say anything again? Where on this continuum with him do I simply say, "God I trust you." Or am I supposed to intercede as a parent? Lord, that's where I struggle. I read these words to trust you, but what does it mean? I struggle with being passive or active in my life. It is an either/or sort of thing for me. I don't know how to do both. We've set a priority of school and yet, it feels like the priority is only our priority and not his.

His heart is hard. That's clear. But, is mine hard too? I mean, is it hard because I'm not trusting you but instead relying on what I know? Here, Jesus, explains to them everything. when I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces you picked up?” They *said to Him, “Twelve.” Here is the evidence guys. I took five loaves and I fed 5,000 and there were leftovers. Jesus is saying, "Guys, I took care of your need for food, for the meal, and for after that." When I broke the seven for the four thousand, how many large baskets full of broken pieces did you pick up?” And they *said to Him, “Seven.” Two times he does it. Two times. He provides.

Summary - The disciples don't get it. Jesus keeps taking care of their needs and yet, the disciples continue to not see it. They continue to be bothered and worried that they don't have what they need. Jesus calls out that they have a hardened heart. God is providing, but they are not trusting Him and at the next moment, they are worried about their next meal. Jesus reviews to them what he had done in feeding 5,000 and 4,000 and having food left over. They see it. But, do they understand?

Promise: Jesus teaches us continually. He continually shows us his ways. I do not have to worry. He will take care of my basic needs, not necessarily all of my needs but He is there. I can trust Him. I don't need to worry.


My Prayer: Lord, in these verses, you seem impatient with your disciples. It is like you are tired of them not believing in you, not trusting in you. You are with them through everything and you continue to provide. And they continue to not trust. Is this me Lord, as well? I feel like it is because I wallow back and forth between reading Your Word and even memorizing it, and then not trusting. I have this problem of wanting to be in control. And when I don't get my way, I get mad or sad. I've never noticed this before God, but my heart is hardened. I always thought a person with a hard heart was someone rejecting you. But, these disciples dropped everything to follow you and then struggled with faith in you at the given moments of their lives.
That's me.
That's me.
Lord, I take this moment, out of my day and for this moment, I see myself. I see that my heart is hardened. Lord, I don't know even know how to pray at this moment, what to pray for, so I will just rest in You. And trust that you will speak to me. 

1 comment: