Monday, June 11, 2018

Mark 8:32b-33 - Peter Corrects Jesus

Mark 8:32b-33
32b And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him. 33 But turning around and seeing His disciples, He rebuked Peter and *said, “Get behind Me, Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.” 

Message: Peter Corrects Jesus

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying: 

Preface - Peter confesses Jesus as the Christ - the promised Messiah. He ordered the disciples to not tell anyone about it. Jesus provides more information about himself on the journey they are taking, remarking that he has a mission of suffering, rejecting, death, and resurrection. These things must happen in their time. Jesus has a greater purpose. In the meantime, keep listening to his message and seeing that he is different, radically different.After this is said, though, Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke him. 

Peter rebukes Jesus, but Peter, in front of the disciples rebukes Peter and *said, “Get behind Me, Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.” Thus, to resist Jesus' teaching is to act as a disciple of Satan, and this is true regardless of whether the person making the objection understands what he is saying. Peter was correct that Jesus was the Messiah, but wrong about what that would mean. Some say Jesus' response was harsh, but obviously Jesus thought it was necessary. And today, as people make errors and paint a Jesus that fits their ideals rather than the Jesus that is presented in the Bible, we should be just as harsh. 

I tend to not be harsh, only because maybe I don't understand it well and so as I see preachers harsh toward different sects of Christianity, I think it is sometimes too tough. But, maybe they see themselves acting in this same way as Jesus rebuking Peter. For example, we are not just justified by faith, but justified by faith alone. Jesus is of the same nature as the Father, not simply a similar nature. Sometimes we are a little careless with out use of words. I think we are lazy at times and don't make things a big deal. But, we do need to be precise. 

Summary - After Peter confesses Jesus as the Christ - the Jewish Messiah - Jesus states his mission of suffering, rejection, death, and resurrection. Peter rebukes Jesus over this, wanting to correct him. But Jesus sees that Peter misunderstands and exhibits tough love in rebuking Peter, calling him out as Satan because his words are motivated by man's interests instead of God's.   

Promise: We must be careful to be precise in our understanding of doctrine and capture all of the nuances of the Bible. If we don't know, it should not be a problem to state this.  

Prayer: Holy Spirit, as you confirm truth to me, I pray that I would accept that truth into my life. There are multiple views that I hear each day, but I want to be guided by Your Spirit so that you are defining my beliefs. Direct me on this path, so that I walk the straight and narrow, but also help me to know when I need to extend grace to people and when I need to be tough in upholding truth. I know you have given me a specific type of personality. May I continue to have wisdom in navigating all that is in this world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment