Friday, August 3, 2018

Mark 9:36-37 - Receiving a Child in Jesus' Name

Mark 9:36-37
36 Taking a child, He set him before them, and taking him in His arms, He said to them, 37 “Whoever receives one child like this in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me does not receive Me, but Him who sent Me.”

Message: Receiving a Child in Jesus' Name

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying: 

Preface - As they arrive in Capernaum, the disciples have already been discussing about who would be the greatest and Jesus quickly steps in to tell them that the desire to be great is normal, but defining greatness is different with Jesus. It is about being a servant and thus being last or not first.

Jesus continues with this theme that service to people an giving yourself to the least is the path to greatness. It is sad for me to see that children and women in many parts of the world are not viewed as having much worth. It is not that we are to view ourselves with little worth, but we should not view ourselves more highly than we ought. Honor comes through service to others.

The thought here is that we naturally receive the powerful into our spaces, our circles, our churches, but Jesus wants to call to our attention that the lowly, the less powerful, the rejected - they all should be received in our surrounding in the same way.

I think Jesus is also showing over and over the significance of community in the life of a follower. We need each other. And we need to be there for one another as well. Independence and personal gain and personal achievement is often what is preached in our society, but being there for others is a key. This is hard. I notice this hard for me. I'm selfish. I want certain things and being there for others sometimes is hard. I was tired last night from work and turned away my son from speaking. My fatigue provided the response and now my person regrets it.

I hate that I live so often by my emotions.

Summary - Jesus continues in Capernaum and continues with the thought that as we desire to be great ourselves and also we desire to have God in our life, being there for others, serving others, and receiving little people as valued people, as no different from the powerful is what we must do.

Promise: From Tabletalk - Our churches must be places where society's castoffs and leaders alike are welcome.

Prayer: Lord, help me be that person that accepts others, that accepts the lowly. I overthink situations often to the point that I am turning people away. I hate that I am often controlled by my emotions. Even when I am tired or hungry, help me God, with your power to be there for others, to receive those around me. Help me to know how to do that, so that I am not enabling them but serving them.You God are Holy and I worship you.

No comments:

Post a Comment