Thursday, June 15, 2023

2 Corinthians 4:17 - The Eternal Weight of Glory

2 Corinthians 4:17 - For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison.


Time: The apostle Paul composed this letter near the end of AD 56, possibly in the city of Philippi, after a report from Titus on the church at Corinth. Paul sought to preserve the unity of these believers within their body. Paul also gives us personal insight on himself in this book and how he was reliant on God. 

What the Lord is Saying: The glory of God needs to be the goal of my life. So far I have studied God's glory being about light and beauty. The Hebrew word kabod is translated into the English word "Glory" with a root meaning of "weight" or "heaviness." Today's passage in 2 Corinthians 4:17 mentions "an eternal weight of glory."  Things that are weighed are often things of value. Precious gemstones such as diamonds are weighed to discover their precise weight. 

Genesis 23:16 - Abraham listened to Ephron; and Abraham weighed out for Ephron the silver which he had named in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, commercial standard.

Genesis 24:22 - When the camels had finished drinking, the man took a gold ring weighing a half-shekel and two bracelets for her wrists weighing ten shekels in gold. 

Weight in these instances help value a commodity. God's glory has a weight that surpasses anything else in existence. He is of infinite value and worth. 

And so when I think of God's glory, it is light, beauty, and also valuable, of great worth. Whatever I value in my life, I take serious and I spend my time on. My wife mentioned yesterday a person that collects automobiles and wants these cars in pristine condition. A garage has been built so he can keep in his possession these cars in a very careful way. They are of great value to him. This is the meaning of the Glory of God, it is to have great value in our lives. Much of our lives is based upon that which we value. I value my wife, my possessions, my time, my family, music, friends -- these are all important to me. As such, God should have even more value in my life. In my life what I value is what I talk about and focus on and take time to be with. God needs to have that same time of priority in my life if I truly value Him in the same way. And so time in His word, praying, being with Him and going to church, to fellowship with others that are doing the same - this is all of great value in my life. 

Summary: The Glory of God is to be of high value in my life and therefore He is what I focus on more than anything else in my life.  

Promise: The amount of time we dedicate to thinking about God's glory and talking to others about it can be an indicator of how worthy we fine Him. 

Prayer: To God be the glory. Lord, I want to make you of highest value in my life Lord. I pray that people know this around me. I pray Lord that you are seen as high value and worth in my life. I pray that my life is lived, and even sufferings that I experience can be necessary and that suffering can also be light in comparison to the great Glory of knowing You. May Your Glory exceed everything else in my life of value. 


No comments:

Post a Comment