Friday, November 24, 2017

Proverbs 11:23 - The Fulfillment of Righteous Desire

Proverbs 11:23
The desire of the righteous is only good, but the expectation of the wicked is wrath.

Message: The Fulfillment of Righteous Desire

Time:  King Solomon is the principal writer of Proverbs. Solomon's proverbs were penned around 900 B.C. In the Book of Proverbs, Solomon reveals the mind of God in matters high and lofty and in common, ordinary, everyday situations, too. It appears that no topic escaped King Solomon's attention. Matters pertaining to personal conduct, sexual relations, business, wealth, charity, ambition, discipline, debt, child-rearing, character, alcohol, politics, revenge, and godliness are among the many topics covered in this rich collection of wise sayings.

What the Lord is Saying: 

It's interesting to read Solomon's words and wonder overall what his worldview was regarding orthodoxy, sovereignty, divine election, and/or Calvinistic type principles. This verse is interesting as it showcases absolute language.

The desire of the righteous is only good. That is an absolute statement. Naturally, the righteous only desire good. That makes sense. If we choose righteousness then our desire is to do good. I struggle sometimes with the absolute statements in the Bible because they speak of a behavior that we don't have obviously all the time, but yet represent an ideal. I guess, in that vain, I am a realist. I suppose what I see is most people sit in between the two. They present to the world through their visible actions often righteousness and yet inside I think we all struggle with being wicked. But, maybe that is just something I see in myself, as a man. I don't know if I see this in my wife or think she struggles with this.

Often, its not that we are wicked, but that we are not as righteous as we could be. But, the aim in this verse is to do good and desire to do good towards people. Perhaps the proverb is saying more that the result of being righteous is having done good and having that peace while the result of being wicked is wrath and disfavor with self, ending their own wrath and ruin.

Conversely, the expectation of the wicked is wrath. 

Promise: Guard my heart. God will reward good deeds not wickedness. Wickedness instead receives wrath.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be a righteous person and to desire righteousness at all times in my life and the lives of others. Train me in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment