Friday, August 4, 2023

John 3:21 - Doing the Truth

John 3:21 
But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: Nicodemus has come to Jesus realizing that for Jesus to do signs and wonders He must be from God. Jesus quickly points him the past signs and wonders and tells him the real focus of why He is on this earth - to show people that they must be born again and to be born again is a move of the Spirit in people's lives. Jesus has come from heaven to earth to lift people and what people must do is believe in Him. And in this belief they will have eternal life. Jesus is here on this earth to save people from their darkness. He is the Light. But most people are concerned about being exposed for who they are so so they resist the Light because they can't see past themselves. 

And now we move to today's verse which seems to be the culmination of the thought. Christ followers are those who are born again by the act of the Spirit (born of the Spirit) and this is seen by other people in how they practice truth. It reminds me of the words of James. We are "show me" people. We show people our faith by our works (James 2:18). It is those that practice truth which come to the Light. And it is in these deeds that people will see we are wrought from God. Again, this is not how we are saved. Saving is done by Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross and resurrection through His Love (John 3:16). But people get to that point by the Spirit of God and being born by Him. And all of these deeds that we do don't give us glory, but rather they give God the glory. 

It is so clear. If people can look past themselves and practice truth then they will see that exposing themselves will actually free themselves. They need to see that they are totally accepted by God. 

Practicing the truth is wrapped up in love. Romans 13:8-10, "8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, “YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT COVET” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

It is not practicing truth alone. It is practicing the truth and coming to the Light. Jesus sacrifices. The Spirit awakens. We practice truth. And we got toward the Light. 

This is a phenomenon to me. We are not saved by our works. Our works show that we are saved and that God has done a good work in us. We must never get wrapped up in works based righteousness for it can't be about us. Throughout this body of Scripture, it has never been about us. It is about Him. He creates. He lives. He is the one to get the Glory. Once we recognize that this is what we are about, seeing ourselves as sinner, life is never more free. "Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner." Oh, for us to really embrace this. For all people to embrace this simple fact that they are sinners. 

It is interesting we often think that people must voice the sinners pray. Actually, they are already saved and this prayer simple helps us know the work that God has already done in this person. Praise God. 

Summary: We must expose ourselves to God, admitting we are sinners and run to the Light, believing, and we are saved and God gets all the glory. 

Promise: Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior.

Prayer: O God, Wow! Your word is so amazing. Thank you for John and bringing amazing clarity to the Word of God and truth and what salvation is and looks like. Lord, no idea why you did it but you get all the glory in saving me. You have shown me the light. Just keep working in me to get out of the way helping me to accept more and more each day that I am a sinner. Thank you for the joy of being your laborer. Get me off my butt and speaking truth to others. Expose people. I pray more and more would admit they are sinners. And then keep on repeating this all the way to Glory. 


No comments:

Post a Comment