Friday, August 18, 2023

John 4:27-30 - The Samaritan Woman Bears Witness to Jesus

John 4:27-30
And at this point His disciples came, and they marveled that He had been speaking with a woman: yet no one said, "What do You seek?" or "Why do You speak with her?" So the woman left her water pot, and went into the city, and said to the men, "Come, see a man who told me all the things that I have done, this is not the Christ, is it?" They went out of the city, and were coming to Him. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: Immediately as I read this scripture, I am encouraged to tell others about my experience with Jesus that I have. I love to read God's word and love to be around people that He has crated. They are an encouragement to me. I need to be more about people. And loving and caring for them. It is hard times in my world because of the position I am in and I wonder if people view me like this. 

The woman expressed a lot of faith. The disciples showed up and once again were surprised at Jesus and how he was speaking to people. We look first to what is appropriate rather than looking first to people and who they are. I do it often as well. I wish I was not like this. 

Tabletalk reminds me something that I forget and that at this time of history, it was viewed a waste of time to even speak to women. It is kind of amazing to think about, but it's only been a little more than 100 years that a woman has been allowed to vote (1920) in this country. At this time, many Jewish men would not even speak to their wives and it was thought to be a waste of time to teach them the Bible and yet Jesus is not only speaking to the woman but offering theology to her. These may seem like small details to emphasize but they are actually big deals. 

And the woman was so eager that she left behind her water pot. And then people listened to her. So she not only went back and spoke but people didn't ignore her but listened. 

Summary: After the Samaritan woman has an encounter with Jesus, she goes back to tell others and they come out to see Jesus. 

Promise: The gospel is not only for the respectable and those who have their lives together. The gospel is also for the outcast, the dysfunctional, and those who have made shambles of their lives.

Prayer: Thank you for loving all and showing value to all people. You set a great example that I need to emulate and I haven't always done this nor continue to do this. Forgive me. Thank you for the reminder here to be vocal as well about what I believe. I need to be your biggest cheerleader. Forgive me for not being that. Thank you for loving me and accepting me anyway. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment