Sunday, October 1, 2023

John 5:30-36 - Testifying to Jesus

John 5:30-36
30 I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 31 If I alone bear witness of Myself, My testimony is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the testimony which He bears of Me is true. 33 You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. 34 But the witness which I receive is not from man, but I say these things that you may be saved. 35 He was the lamp that was burning and was shining and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. 36 But the witness which I have is greater than that of John; for the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish, the very works that I do, bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: Jesus continues to speak, answering (v. 19) the Jews (v. 18) and how they were seeing Him do things on the sabbath day that they felt He should not do, but also was God His own Father (v. 17), making Himself equal with God. 

And Jesus testifies that He does what He sees the Father doing. The Father begot the Son, yes. And yet the two have always existed. In believing in Jesus we have eternal life (v. 24) and Jesus has the same authority as the Father (v. 27). 

Jesus mentions (recorded in v. 30) that He works not on His own, but on the initiative of the Father. His judgment is just, because He does it by the will of Him (Father God) who sent Him. 

He makes it plain that He cannot bear witness of alone Himself (v. 31). An interesting note because of how many other religions get started because of one person's testimony or belief or even thought of God's appearance on their life. And then afterwards seek out others to bear witness, but the witness of Jesus is first from John. His witness precedes His testimony to people. Again, I think of two notable individuals in history that started religions - Mohammed and Joseph Smith. Would not their arrival been true if their was someone that preceded their arrival? And yet, neither had such a person. And there are many more like this in which someone self-proclaims themselves. 

And then He shows that His true calling and true witness is greater than John, but of the Father (v. 36). He is sent by the Father. The witness of Jesus is not merely from a man though this is of great impact to many hearers. But Jesus is clear that his chief witness is that He is from God (v. 34). 

As I look further at verse 35 in which Jesus refers to John as the lamp, I also remember John 1:8 in which John states, "He was not the light, but came that he might bear witness of the light." And yet I am not sure of its similarity to this text as Jesus speaks of John being the lamp and people rejoiced in his light. 

But not only John and not only the Father, Jesus remarks that His works, the miracle He performs are a testimony of His teaching. It is not only others that have come, but His work itself testifies of the greatness of who He is. Again, he is set apart from others by what He has done. Sometimes I have not held highly the works of Jesus because Jesus I think often thought that people just came to Him to see the outcome or benefit from the outcome of His healings, but I need to also remember that it His healings and miracles that also speak and testify that He is sent by God. 

Summary: John testified of Jesus prior to His coming and Jesus is sent by the Father and in the miracles He performed this also testified of Him. 

Promise: We have much to proclaim to us of the validity of Jesus - His own teaching, the witness of John the Baptist, the witness of the Father, and the witness of our Lord's miracles. 

Prayer: Lord, You are good. Your ways are true. They are right and Lord, your ways are great because of who came before You and who sent You and then Your works also testify of who you are. You are not simply one that came with words, but others prepared your way and Your words testify of You. Help me to remember this and remember this - to help to testify of You continually. You are to be praised and glorified. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment