Monday, October 16, 2023

John 6:36-40 - The Father's Gift to the Son

John 6:36-40
36 But I said to you, that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life; and I Myself will raise him up on the last day. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: I was talking to my brother night before last. He is teaching through John now with Bible Study Fellowship and we were recalling some themes in this book. The one theme that I see over and over is John is telling us how Jesus and His message is one of eternal life. And it really amazes me as I read this text as well. The last lesson was on the Bread of life whereby Jesus is speaking to the multitude, going through scripture in the synagogue (v. 59) and continuing to speak to these folks about believing in the Father and believing the Father sent Jesus and Jesus is providing them eternal life and this need for eternal life now is equivalent to bread that we need to live on and yet Jesus as the bread of life is greater than anything else in this world. 

I was speaking to someone at church yesterday as class ended. We had been discussing heaven and he remarked that death is not even a reality for a Christian for we will never die. And I remarked that the church is often about retraining and realigning our lives to the truth of God's word. Every week it is the same. It is about getting us back in line with God and His word. 

And here once again, Jesus repeats this message to them, but in these verses refers back to the Father and His Gifting the Son. I've already studied these themes before in Chapter 5 of the Father granting to the Son. And yet both Father and Son are eternal based upon our understandings of them throughout scripture. 

This passage is sort of depressing. People have Jesus right there in front of Him and He is explaining Himself to them and they are not believing (v. 36). And as such, this message of divine election seems to be being taught here by Jesus. Verse 39 seems to be a big idea on this, "that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing." And in verse 37, "All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out." Those ideas. The Father gives Me. And whoever He gives me will not be cast out. I will not lose. And yet many don't believe. There is no losing people. People don't get lost after getting found. 

Tom Nelson was talking about this recently in a message I was listening to him preach on from Hebrews. The message is called Two Cents and a Handful of Lettuce and he speaks of people that renounce their Christian faith and comments that there is no coming back of these people. These folks do not come back to the gospel. It is just a start reminder of people that get drawn to the Lord and are truly saved. We must watch their entire life. 

Summary: The Father has gifted people to the Son to be saved and the Son gives eternal life and possessing these people, Jesus will not cast them out ever and He will never lose them. 

Promise: Everyone who has been chosen comes to believe in Christ alone for redemption. We can know we are His elect by believing in Christ and showing authentic belief and faith in Him. 

Prayer: Lord, sometimes these messages are hard to read and accept, but yet God you have chosen Your people and You will not lose them. Your ways are perfect. I pray for more chosen people and that You would direct me to those that I need to disciple and help. Give me wisdom in how to help people and encourage them. I need your strength Lord. I need You. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment