Sunday, January 14, 2024

John 11:54-57 - Before the Final Passover

John 11:54-57
54 Therefore Jesus no longer continued to walk publicly among the Jews, but went away from there to the country near the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim; and there He stayed with the disciples.

55 Now the Passover of the Jews was near, and many went up to Jerusalem out of the country before the Passover to purify themselves. 56 So they were seeking for Jesus, and were saying to one another as they stood in the temple, “What do you think; that He will not come to the feast at all?” 57 Now the chief priests and the Pharisees had given orders that if anyone knew where He was, he was to report it, so that they might seize Him.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: So with the plot now on for those to kill Jesus, which is what the disciples concern was earlier when he went to Bethany near Jerusalem (verse 8), John mentions in verse 54 that Jesus will no longer continue to walk with the Jews. He will get away from walking with the Jews as Has more to accomplish, though He knows His death is inevitable. But this lets us know that He will decide the time and not let others decide it for him. 

Verse 55 mentions the Passover was near. I remember in John 2 the Passover was near, so time is passing along, at least a year between those two passages. Based upon what I have read Jesus is probably about 31 if he began his ministry at age 30, but that is just my guess. Later, when Jesus was crucified, that would be during the feast of the Passover. 

In verse 55 it mentions the Jews left Jerusalem "to purify themselves." I looked this up in commentaries and Charles, a theologian in the 1800s states, "The Law ordained no special purifications before the Passover, but on the general principle of ceremonial cleanness, a large number of pilgrims would necessarily go up before the feast to observe the legal rites and offer the required sacrifices." Numbers 9:6 remarks that some are unclean, but Lord to Moses says those individuals (unclean because of a dead person) can still observe the Passover. And yet there is also mention in Leviticus 22:3 about approaching the holy (whatever that is at the time) unclean that person is cut off. As such, possibly there is an approach to 'better be safe than sorry.' 

And people wonder, possibly Jews whether Jesus will be present at the Passover. He is not with them. He was at the last one it seems in John 2, but for this one, at this time, possibly it is not known. It is clear that some Jews want to seize Him. 

Summary: Jesus goes to the wilderness, but back in Jerusalem, many are preparing for the Passover, wondering if Jesus will be present at it. 

Promise: We are not to seek suffering or harm, but as it occurs, we are to faithful and endure it. 

Prayer: Lord, you are holy and as I even come before you at various times to celebrate communion or a baptism or even an event like Christmas or Easter, I am not sure if I have taken the time consistently to prepare myself. You want me to observe these events, to remember, and in that be thankful the Your gift to me, but I think it can be important to first confess sin and see if there is any wicked in me and to think about how my life at that moment can be defiled by other things, by other priorities, by other thoughts. Help me to focus on You. Even as I attend church and walk into a fellowship, too many things are often on my mind. Even as take a moment to study Your word each day and pray, often there are thoughts at war within me of other responsibilities. So help me God to be serious about those times of service and worship and study, as I approach You - to cleanse me. I don't even pray God prior to getting into your Word and yet this pattern is done at Church. I know I'm not requited, but help me make those times more focused so that I am hearing You when You speak. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment