Saturday, January 27, 2024

John 12:20-26 - Death and Glory

John 12:20-26
20 Now there were some Greeks among those who were going up to worship at the feast; 21 these then came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida of Galilee, and began to ask him, saying, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” 22 Philip came and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip came and told Jesus. 23 And Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. 26 If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: This chapter starts with Mary anointing Jesus which had the disciple Judas questioning it, then he went to Jerusalem as Passover was near and was greeted their with people crying out Hosanna 'Save Me' and blessing Jesus' arrival and Jesus comes on a donkey. But these things were not understood by the disciples at the time, though later they would look back and understand. Despite of this many still were understanding though the Pharisees were bothered that people were understanding. 

Verse 20 mentions Greeks who were part of those going to worship. Verse 21 they want to see Jesus. Philip told Andrew and both came to Jesus (verse 22). And then we have some lessons by Jesus. As I look at the Bible, now and through chapter 17 will be a lot of Jesus talking and speaking. 

Jesus begins in verse 23 by saying His hour has come. Up to this point he had mentioned it was not yet time for his departure. Hour is an interesting word for it seems to refer to time more than only an hour. It is language that is often said in the Bible that is not literal but refers more to a span of time. Either way, Jesus realizes the Son of Man will be glorified. Jesus refers to himself in the first person and as he does says Son of Man. This title has great meaning for Jesus will be the perfect man in taking away the sin of the world, substituting as the animals did annually, but Jesus will do once and for all. He has mentioned thus far his authority that comes from the Father.  But conversely is his person, fully man. Son of Man is simply a term for human. Ezekiel was called a Son of Man. 

In verse 24 he makes a reference to a grain of wheat dying to produce fruit. He says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit." It is interesting because he clarifies a little what He means by the hour having come for him to be glorified. He speaks of a grain of wheat falling from its stalk, no longer receiving nourishment from it and falling to its death. 

Alone. This is interesting because there seems to be something significant here. Jesus will die alone. Salvation is not a group effort it is his personal death. He will die. He is also alone in salvation. He is it. There are no other answers for the salvation of man. And so he compares himself to this grain of wheat and is speaking of Himself. 

I don't know it is an interesting phrase of meaning. Once it goes to the ground though, it will bear fruit. His death results in resurrection and out of this resurrection will come fruit. Many will be saved out of this resurrection. Disciples are washed in the blood of Jesus to bear fruit. 

In verse 25, Jesus mentions further that to love life is to give it up. Jesus loves mankind. He loves all people. God loves the world (John 3:16). But to keep people always with God he must lose that life. And Jesus mentions one must hate their life to have life eternal. We must give up our life. Again this is another phrase that speaks to life and giving it up or surrendering it. 

These are the words of Jesus that feel the hardest for me to obey in this life. To hate one's life is just so opposite to how my life is lived. I think often of the pandemic and this complete focus people had on preserving life. I never saw it more clearly than during this time. And I suppose I continue to witness it in this life - this zeal and 100% desire to stay well, to preserve life, to keep going. And yet that approach seems so opposite to these words. If there is one thing that continues to keep me hiding from the preaching of the gospel it is this - I love my life. Not that I think I will be killed for sharing my faith, but in that thirst to do things that protect me and my well being and keep me from being embarrassed or labeled a radical, I stay hidden from the public eye. I talk of everything going on in this world but the salvation of others. In sharing about my week, it is all about what I have experienced in that week. Nowhere am I losing my life. I might lose my life to serve others but even often in serving others there is selfish gain in stroking pride, in stroking my accomplishment, in thanks. There just isn't enough 'surrendering.' There is self protection. 

And so verse 26 is the natural next verse -- If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor himAfter losing one's life, we then serve Jesus. And in this service is a promise - serve Me and the Father will honor him. And so that's it. Serve Jesus. Lose one's life. Die to your life and it will bear fruit. Lose one's life. Serve Jesus in losing one's life and dying to it. I am a servant. Larry Norman wrote that song and I remember him saying he wrote this about his dad because his felt this expectation to do what his earthly father said. He couldn't do what he wanted to do in his life. Instead he is a servant. And yet born out of that experience by Larry Norman in which he seems to write almost in anger is the idea that we can be the Lord's servant. Do this serve and your life will be honored. See the connection - to have one's life honored by Father God, what must we do? Serve Jesus. The two are connected. 

Summary: Greeks looking for Jesus and then Jesus speaks about his future death and how He will and we need to lose our lives to find fruit and abundant life. 

Promise: Serve Jesus and the Father will Honor you. 

Prayer: O God, your words are truth and life to me and yet assaulting to me. It is so hard God because I love myself too much. And instead I need to love You. Not simply more than I love myself. I need to love You. Lord, keep assaulting me with these words and training me and teaching to lose my life for Your sake. Lord, I need to make more mention of You in my day. I need to lose my life. I need to follow You in losing one's life, hating one's life, serving you Jesus. This is my journey and if I am being honest my real desire and ambition as a Christian, a Christ-Follower. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

2 comments:

  1. Came across your post looking up a Jesus is calling devotional - it was from years ago. Glad to see you are still posting, love what you are putting out there. Thank you I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I appreciate your encouragement. And happy these lessons can also help you as they challenge me. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete