Monday, August 12, 2013

Interesting Thoughts - February 2013

It is no longer enough to accept a person and his right to believe as he wishes; the "new tolerance" requires that we accept his viewpoint as well. - Starr Meade on review of book, "The Intolerance of Tolerance" by D.A. Carson. 

Also on the book

  • Carson surveys the history of tolerance (tolerance in the old sense) through the centuries, admitting that Christians themselves have sometimes practiced harsh intolerance. He demonstrates, however, that, when that has happened, it has been contrary to what Scripture actually teaches.
  • Only biblical Christianity, with its insistence upon right and wrong and truth and falsehood, is not to be tolerated under the new tolerance. 
  • The new tolerance increasingly denies those holding Bible-based opinions the right to say, "I believe that is wrong."
Tabletalk (November 2012)8th Commandment – Thou Shalt Not Steal – There are several ways that a seller can alter measurements to fool buyers into thinking they are getting more than they are actually receiving. This is equivalent to theft because it takes more from a buyer than he should be paying. Christians must never use false measurements or lie about what they are buying and selling.

Tabletalk (November 2012)Wise SayingsRC Sproul - Proverbs aren’t for every situation in life. They are not universal laws. Consider them wisely for the situations that they apply themselves to.

Tabletalk (November 2012)Scripture Alone - Michael J. Kruger - At its core, the fall was about God’s people rejecting God’s Word as the ultimate standard for all of life.

Reading EM Bounds, Power through Prayer, Chapter 5, “Prayer, the Great Essential”

I want my wife to be more spiritual and yet I don’t pray for her. I want this of my kids and yet I don’t pray for them, thinking somehow that my desire is what affects change or an apt word from someone. It is prayer. God is the one that changes hearts. I must believe this and live it and do it. “Praying is spiritual work; and human nature does not like taxing, spiritual work.” My prayer is quick. It’s like I’m just throwing something up because it’s a duty and I want to comply. I’m into check-off prayer where I have this list and I pray for something and I’m done. I think praying once for something is enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment