Saturday, August 2, 2014

Romans 3:15-17 - Ruin, Misery, and Bloodshed

Romans 3:15-17
15 Their feet are swift to shed blood,
16 Destruction and misery are in their paths,
17 And the path of peace they have not known.”

Message: Apart from Christ, we are quick to ruin others.

Time: Paul probably wrote Romans between A.D. 57-58 while he was at Corinth in the home of his friend and convert Gaius. He planned to go first to Jerusalem to deliver a gift of money from the Gentile churches to the poor in Jerusalem. Then he hoped to visit Rome on his way to Spain. His hopes were later realized, but not as he had expected. When he finally arrived in Rome in early A.D. 60, he was a prisoner under house arrest (Acts 28:11-31).

What the Lord is Saying:

Background
Paul is in the middle of describing the fact that both Jews and Greeks are guilty of breaking God's Law and stand condemned before Him. Apart from divine grace, we are incapable of following God and living our lives in a way that honors Him. We do not begin life living in a manner worthy of our calling. Paul has mentioned earlier in chapter 1 that we do begin life with a knowledge of right and wrong, a knowledge of who God is, but that doesn't mean we begin life giving glory to Him. There is none righteous. There is no one who does good. 

In verse 13 and 14, Paul showed us how our tongue gets us into trouble and how our tongue springs forth evil. He now shifts to our feet. Our feet take us places and they take us places. And yet we begin walking away from God and His ways. 

Verse 15
"Their feet are swift to shed blood." Isaiah 59:7, "Their feet run to evil." 

"Their feet" speak of our approach to life. "Swift" or oxus, apart from God, we are prone to violence. Swift is the picture of being rapid in motion. It also means a keen edge for cutting. "Shed" is to pour out. "Blood" is the basis of life. 

Our approach to life is we rapidly pour out the basis of life (in others). 

Wayne Barber, from his notes on Romans states, "the vengeance of lost man is incredible. We have seen it in many places, even in the heart of a little child when some other child takes his toy and he looks at him and says, "I hate you. I hate you. You took my toy. I wish you were dead." Where did that come from? Was he taught that in school? Was he taught that at home? No. It came from the fact that he was born depraved as a result of Adam’s sin. The vengeance of even a child shows us that man does not have any good in him whatsoever. If you ever think differently, you have missed the point of why the gospel is such good news."

What I see here is how quick I will hurt another person. I do it all the time. Maybe the hurt is not inflicting bodily harm, but it is through my words. And the point is, I don't want to be wronged. I am very quick to defend what I think is right, in my own eyes. I do it with my kids, my wife, my co-workers, my church friends, strangers. 

And the thing I notice is I often don't notice it immediately in myself, but when I see it in another person it is glaring. I saw it yesterday in a person as they so quickly assaulted another person's life and how they were living it and how they thought that person wasn't being sensitive to their family. And this person's response was to then lash out in return. And as I looked at this situation, I saw how ugly it looked and was outraged somewhat at how a person could be that way toward another. And yet, I don't look at myself quickly and examine myself as to how I work in this same way, at times, in my life. I think of my relationship with my father, and at times, how quickly I think of the worst rather than the best in him. I am embarrassed by this. I do this with my wife. People I am close to and know better than others is often the biggest problem. It is these people that are an open book to me. I am close to them so I see there weaknesses and yet I often quickly assault rather than understand. I am swift, with a keen edge for cutting. 

Verse 16
Isaiah 59:7 also states, "Devastation and destruction are in their highways." Romans 3:16, "Destruction and misery are in their paths." 

Destruction means to break into pieces or crush completely. Misery is what follows destruction. Misery is the harm that follows destruction. When I break something it produces a harm or feelings of sorrow for that which is broken. Path is anywhere that we travel. 

This is a sobering picture. As I travel, I will break into pieces people, causing feelings of harm. Wherever man goes, sin soon follows. 

What is amazing in life is how hurt is everywhere. Sometimes it comes about intentionally but all to often, it is unintentional. People feel wronged by the way they see things in others. They have opinion inside of them of how people should be. And misery is the result. Misery often produces a hatred toward God. People get broken and have sorrow and blame God. But, more importantly, here, I guess is simply the realization of how much we need to be In Christ. And apart from Christ, we are prone to hurt others. 

Verse 17
"And the path of peace they have not known." Isaiah 59:8, "They have made their paths crooked. Whoever treads on them does not know peace."

Right now, in the world, and really throughout history, we are constantly seeing people and nations struggling with peace. ISIS terrorist group in Iraq. The terrorist group in northern Nigeria abducting innocent girls. The problem between Israel and Palestiine. Ukraine and Russia.

In this verse, Paul is explaining that man doesn't know peace. He doesn't know what it means to have harmony with his fellow man. 

Promise: This is a reminder that we are continually in need of God's forgiveness. Man needs God.


No comments:

Post a Comment