Thursday, August 21, 2014

Romans 5:1 - Peace with God

Romans 5:1 - Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Message: Because of justification, we have peace with God through Jesus our Lord

Time: The Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16 year old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. Persecution of Christians wouldn't begin until AD 64. The church was experiencing times of relative peace. From where he wrote, Corinth, was a hotbed of sexual immorality and idol worship.

What the Lord is Saying:

Background
In Chapter 4, Paul clearly put forth how a person is justified by faith, in accordance with Grace, where a person believes that Jesus died and rose from the dead, where in turn, Christ's righteousness was credited to a person, and the person's sinful life was transferred to Christ. No matter how good a person, a person's life will always be tainted by sin. Therefore, works can never save a person. But, the Law was never meant to save, but rather call attention to specifically how the Law has been broken. And we know this, not simply because of words spoken of by a New Testament convert, Paul, but the credit of righteousness by faith was upheld by Abraham and David.

In Chapter 3, the stage was set for this justification by clearly showing that no one is righteous. The need for believing in Christ is based upon the idea that man is a sinner. Paul also explains that God's faithfulness is not contingent upon man's obedience. God is who He is plain and simple.

In Chapter 2, Paul lays out that God's will judge man; God's wrath will occur. And the Jew will not escape this because of their connection with the Law nor because they have been circumcised. An inward change is what is key in the life of a person. The problem with the Law is the Jews broke the Law. God looks at every person the same. No one is given a free pass. God is impartial.

In Chapter 1, Paul introduces himself to the the Romans and his introduction is all about the Gospel of God. It's all about the change that has taken place in his life and the life of those he is speaking to. Paul never mentions works as the basis for his love but it is their faith. And Paul sets up that the Gospel is all about man's unrighteousness that he needs the righteousness of Christ. And what Paul shows clearly is how man, specifically the Gentile, has moved away from God, though God is known in man, man seeks his own path for being justified.

Now, in chapter 5, we behold peace with God. This is what every person is after in life: to have peace with God. Sin brings about separation from God. But Jesus brings peace.

Therefore - we are guilty; we are sinners
Paul has completely shown with all clarity that the only way I can be right with God is by believing in Jesus so the righteousness of Christ can be imputed to me. It is not through obedience to the Law nor is it through a special act like circumcision or even baptism.

And now in Chapter 5, I can see the clear result of this in my life. I have peace with God.

We are justified by faith
This is the culminating theme of the first 4 chapters. The conclusion of being separated from God because of my sin is I am justified or made right with God by faith. Paul summarizes his entire message by stating I am justified by faith. Justification happened. It was a one time event. It is not a process, but an event.

And this justification came from someone outside of man. I am justified by an outside force.

Faith is resting my whole weight on God. 

I have peace with God
The peace I have is not a one time thing, but continual. I have been justified and so now I have peace. So many people have written me to tell me that they don't feel like they have peace with God. But, this is clear. Peace is not a feeling. Peace is a fact.

Wayne Barber states this: That means that I have it today. I will have it tomorrow. I will have it the next day. I will always have it. Present tense means continuous duration of action. Indicative mood means that is a fact, take it to the bank. Active voice means the subject is acted upon or doing the acting. We have peace with God. I don’t know about you, but that completely blows my mind because there are a lot of people today who try to tell me I can lose my salvation. But the Word of God says when I put my faith into Jesus Christ, I eternally have peace with God. What does it mean to put my faith into Jesus Christ to get this peace with God? I have to realize my guilt before God. I have to realize I cannot do one single thing to justify myself. I have to realize what Christ came to do for me. Then when I put my faith into Him, when I surrender to Him, I have peace with God.

Peace means to bind together what has been separated. And I have peace because of a past event. And so peace is not predicated on something that I will do in the future. Having been justified, I have peace.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ
I am a sinner. I have been justified by faith. I have peace with God. And it is through Jesus Christ. All of my praise in my life is to Jesus Christ and for what he did for me. I give praise to Jesus because he made it possible for me to have peace with God. 

Promise: I possess peace because I have been justified.


The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. - See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/bible/romans.html#sthash.VYInq9Fk.dpuf
The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. - See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/bible/romans.html#sthash.VYInq9Fk.dpuf
The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. - See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/bible/romans.html#sthash.VYInq9Fk.dpuf
The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. - See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/bible/romans.html#sthash.VYInq9Fk.dpuf
The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. - See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/bible/romans.html#sthash.VYInq9Fk.dpuf
The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. - See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/bible/romans.html#sthash.VYInq9Fk.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment