Friday, August 22, 2014

Romans 5:2 - Access by Faith

Romans 5:2 - through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.

Message: Jesus introduces us to grace and now I have hope

Time: The Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16 year old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. Persecution of Christians wouldn't begin until AD 64. The church was experiencing times of relative peace. From where he wrote, Corinth, was a hotbed of sexual immorality and idol worship.

What the Lord is Saying:

The Set Up
After Paul has clearly explained the righteousness we receive by faith, believing that Jesus died and rose from the dead, Paul now answers the question, "So what does being declared righteous in Christ mean to me now?" In verse 1, Paul let me know that there is peace with God. There is shalom with God. I was separated from God because of my sin, because being a sinner in the eyes of God made me unholy. But, now I have peace.

Contrasting Standing and State
The emphasis here is on my access by faith or my standing. Paul elsewhere will often speak of our current state. This is a contrast worth noting because I think, in my conversations with people, it is a source of confusion and often the two are viewed to be synonymous at one time in the life of a believer when in actuality they are different. My standing has been eternally settled. It is the new place in which I am. It is my condition based upon grace which justifies me before the throne of God. I am in Christ beyond the reach of the judgment. My state is the condition of my soul. It varies. Standing does not vary. State fluctuates and varies during my walk with God. My state varies as I either walk in the flesh or walk in the Spirit. In standing, the veil is torn and I have been given access to walk in the Holy of Holies and boldly approach the throne of God in prayer.

My admission ticket
Verse 2 begins with "through whom also we have obtained our introduction." Introduction is the Greek word prosagoge which means to bring near or bring toward. It is providing admission or access. I think it would be better translated as "through whom also we have obtained our admission." Admission ticket is something we all know. Or receiving a special access card, like I did when I worked at the airport, that gave me special access through a door that is normally off limits to the public traveling. This speaks clearly of what has occurred in being justified. I have been given access into the King's presence, into the king's presence, into peace with God.

My admission ticket came about by my faith. It was my faith into grace and that is what I stand on. Now I have hope in the hereafter and I have victory over sin today.

Exult, Hope in Glory of God
Exult is to boast over a position I now possess. The standing that I receive elicits a response in me and that is a sincere gladness for what has been gifted me. And because I am exulting in a finished work, the exulting should never go away or cease, but should always be present in my life. In essence, I am congratulating myself. But, again, I am pleased and honored, but it is not of my own doing. I haven't done anything unique. I'm just glad about what this means to me.

From PreceptAustin.org: Hope is defined as a desire for some future good with the expectation of obtaining it. Hope is confident expectancy or the confident anticipation of that which we do not yet see. Hope is the looking forward to something with a reason for confidence respecting fulfillment. J B Phillips paraphrased the believer's hope as "happy certainty"!

I am thrilled and overjoyed to have what I have in Christ. I have a confident expectancy and can be certain of my future sharing with Him one day in His glory. Glory is a manifestation of God's true nature, His presence, His likeness. Christ's work on the cross has altered my standing forever. What a thrill.

Promise:  I have assurance of my salvation and my eternal destiny.

There is no person who is justified but is not at peace with God; nor is there a person who is at peace with God but is not justified. -- Tabletalk, April 2, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment