Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Psalm 106:1-5 - A Call for God to Remember

Psalm 106:1-5  
Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. Who can speak of the mighty deeds of the Lord, or can show forth all His praise? How blessed are those who keep justice, who practice righteousness at all times! Remember me, O Lord, in Your favor toward Your people; visit me with Your salvation, that I may see the prosperity of Your chosen ones, that I may rejoice in the gladness of Your nation, that I may glory with Your inheritance.

Message: A call for God to remember

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:  

I am noticing that some Psalms seem to be a direct prayer to God while others are a proclamation about who He is. They are a praise testimony of Him and His attributes. This one seems to be sort of a mix of the two as it, in a way, helps us to know what to pray for when we pray. 

Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. I do need to remember when I pray to give thanks to the Lord first. Even the Lord's prayer begins with "Hallowed be thy name." The model of prayer is to thank God for who he is first. The passage that I love and think about often in Romans 1 begins with the person that begins to live their life away from God in verse 21 and it says, "For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks." The first thing to go in a person is giving thanks to God. I am always amazed at that verse, for it says that people knew God, but they didn't give thanks to Him. Lord, this must not be forgotten in my life. I must remember to thank God for what He has done, like we did at Thanksgiving time. We spent time thanking God for what he had done. Lord, help me to be more thankful. I should be thanking you more versus asking you for more. 

Who can speak of the mighty deeds of the Lord, or can show forth all His praise? Also, in my praying is remembering the things that God has done in our life and for us. We are people of want. We are people of need. We are people that desire something different about our current situation. But, we need to also remember what God has done in our life. There are good things that he does all the time and they should be remembered. Lord, remind me of what you have done for us. 

How blessed are those who keep justice, who practice righteousness at all times! Lord, it is a privilege to be able to walk in your ways, to live according to Your promises, to be called by You. It is the only way to live in life. I am so thankful that I get to walk with You, by your side. Your ways are not a burden, but are the best ways to live. 

Remember me, O Lord, in Your favor toward Your people; visit me with Your salvation, that I may see the prosperity of Your chosen ones, that I may rejoice in the gladness of Your nation, that I may glory with Your inheritance. Then the Psalmist makes a request from God. He asks God to show Him favor and to visit us with salvation. He asks him to come alongside him and be with him and the grace that God provides. In the mode of experiencing God, he wants to join God in what He is doing. Help me to see life from your perspective, to walk in Your ways. It is no problem wanting life to be different, but should not our ideal be to walk with the Lord instead of just getting our constant Christmas list met? 

Promise: Praise Him, Remember our Calling, Remember what he has done in our life and then we can rightly see Him in us, working in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment