Thursday, February 16, 2017

Proverbs 10:4-5 - The Diligent Hand of the Prudent Son

Proverbs 10:4-5
Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.
He who gathers in summer is a son who acts wisely, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who acts shamefully.


Message: The Diligent Hand of the Prudent Son

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: Even there were not any verse or chapter divisions in the original manuscripts, the beginning of this chapter says -- A wise son makes a father glad, but a foolish son is a grief to his mother. Solomon in Proverbs is primarily speaking to a son or his children to discuss things to think about, mostly regarding behavior. The reality is that left to our natural state, we have a tendency to live lives of complete selfishness. We do not naturally please others. For example, a child has to learn to share. For some it is easier than others. I see this in myself often, my selfishness takes over in so many areas. Yes, I work hard, but often I think that hard work then merits a meeting of my expectations.

These two proverbs contrast the hard working with the lazy. This is a common theme. I have learned in life that it is not just about working hard but working hard in a wise manner. After college I worked in a credit union as a teller for just about 6 months. In that job, I worked quickly but not always carefully. I enjoyed being faster than everyone else, but along the way I wasn't always the most accurate. My next year was spent volunteering in radio and doing temp jobs. In those jobs I sometimes didn't have big time requirements and could work at my own pace. Then, I got a job in retail. It wasn't just working hard that was important, but being wise in that work and working with a smile on my face, which has always been a challenge. In this process, I went back to school and then went to work at an accounting office. I worked hard, but not hard enough. My boss was similar to my boss now, expecting me to get the job done and not being focused on my time. I took a few afternoons off to watch Lobo basketball and didn't come in like he did on the weekends and he let me go. That was a wake up call for I spent another couple of months looking for work while having a wife at home and a new child. I then worked in Santa Fe and had different demands placed on me and I responded, thought it was still a challenge. That was a good job, but I still felt inadequate many times and I wasn't sure I was working well. I then took a job back in Albuquerque with a friend being the resident accountant for a small business. That was a job I didn't have much confidence in and I let others decide how I would work rather, though they looked to me for advice often.

I think overall I have learned to be diligent as verse 4 speaks.

And now I look at my children and I must admit their idleness makes em bothered. I think they spend too much time in entertainment and recreation mode. But, I also need to remember myself and what I had to learn and I need to give them time to learn as well.

Promise: Different seasons of life dictate often how often we spent quality time with the Lord and quality time working, but it is always important to be diligent and work in a wise manner.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the experiences that I have had. Some have been hard to go through, but through them you have taught much about myself. Forgive me for continually thinking of myself as deserving something because I simply work hard. You have gifted me in a certain way to be a certain person and this is who I am. And remind me that I am simply behaving in a way that is consistent with my make-up. Help me to be patient with my wife and children. I need your help Lord, I often act in way that I am not proud of. I want to instead bring glory to Your Name.


No comments:

Post a Comment