Monday, February 20, 2017

Proverbs 6:6-11 - Go to the Ant

Proverbs 6:6-11
Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer a
nd gathers her provision in the harvest.
How long will you lie down, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep?
10 “A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to rest”—
11 Your poverty will come in like a vagabond and your need like an armed man.


Message: Go to the Ant

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: As I've learned elsewhere, I have things to learn, even from the ant. In verse 6, I am told to look to the ant, o lazy one, and observe her walking about and then be wise. Take notice of the smallest creature on the earth and realize there is much to be learned from this creature. I continue to find it interesting that the ant's life span is about 30-45 days and yet with no leader each ant has the inborn train of preparing her food in the summer and gathering what the ant will need for the harvest. So, they are gathering for other ants that will live on after them. How can one look at this and say this is all birthed by chance?

Verse 9 begins with 2 words - How long - describing the strange idleness of man. Granted, sleeping and playing and sitting in front of a TV I think all are examples of being a sluggard. Just being out of bed is not enough to escape the sluggard tag on our lives. But, for me, the time I spend staring at a screen, seeking to be entertain by it when there are other things I could be doing. I was at my parents last night and noticed the books by my Mom's nightstand and noticed once again the books of great Christian writers she was taking the time to go through. She is not a sluggard but she is spending time equipping herself in a better way, desiring to bring glory to God. It is a beautiful picture. I look at the house and things I could do and there are many. Help me Lord to not constantly go toward the tube but engage in activities of meaning with my family and friends.

Promise: Be careful about continual acts of putting off to tomorrow what could be done today.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for examples that you provide with even the smallest of your creatures. You are a good God and a kind God and thank you for your Word that encourages us and reminds us in the ways in which we are to live. Lord, train me to surround me with only good sources of information in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment