Monday, March 20, 2017

Luke 12:34 - Valuing Goods and Services

Luke 12:34
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Message: Valuing Goods and Services

Time: The Gospel according to Luke was probably the last Synoptic Gospel to be written, thus penned around 60 AD. The words salvation are in Luke, though not in Matthew and Mark. Luke, a gentile physician, wrote more than any other NT writer, writing primarily of redemptive history.

What the Lord is Saying: I have read this verse often and thought about what it means, namely that what is most important to me or what I focus my spending on is what is most important to me. When it comes to spending money, we all do not value the same things in the same way, all the time. This is normal and good. We need different values in order to help one another out. Yet, as it mentions in the 10 commandments, we are not value anything higher than God.

Sometimes, I have often looked at this verse and thought that since I spend money on anything that is not church related or disciple making related or missions related, then somehow my heart is not on God honoring things. But spending is part of life and trading, often my money, to others, for something that they are providing, for something that I desire is still giving Glory to God. But, I think it always comes back to am I valuing that item more than I value God. 

Promise: There are many ways to show that we value God and His kingdom above all else.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you for money and enabling me to earn money and then spend it on things that we need. Lord, I pray for your wisdom to radiate my paths, reminding me that spending is okay if it is providing something I need. Keep me focused on glorifying you and keep teaching me about money and how it can be used for your glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment