Monday, March 6, 2017

Psalm 110:1-3 - The King's All-Encompassing Reign

Psalm 110:1-3
1 The Lord says to my Lord:
“Sit at My right hand
Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”
The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying,
“Rule in the midst of Your enemies.”
Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power;
In holy array, from the womb of the dawn,
Your youth are to You as the dew.

Message: The King's All-Encompassing Reign

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: I've been having trouble getting through some of these passages of late. It is March 2017 and I'm still staring at the October 2015 Tabletalk. Granted, I take it slow, studying each reading myself and then seeing what Tabletalk says. It keeps me accountable to studying the Word, but bugs me at times I can't stay on track, now 15 months behind. But, for 6 months or so in 2016 I really had trouble getting through texts. I've been on this October issue late January, once again, going at a slower pace.

The reality is some of these texts are just hard for me to understand and I want to understand them. Plus, since the 1st of the year, I've been doing all the cooking for the family and eating out maybe once every couple of weeks. But, really, that shouldn't be a big deal for my guess is there are many women out there that have been doing all the meals for 10-20-30-40 years and I'm bothered because its been 2 months.

As I read this text, first looking at TableTalk, the magazine devotional states that this is a Messianic Psalm or a prophetic Psalm that Jesus even quoted as recorded in Luke 20:41-43.

The emphasis here is on the comprehensiveness of the reign on the coming Davidic king. To make your enemies a footstool is the idea that in the ancient Near East, conquering kings and armies would often put their feet on the necks of their foes after they had subjugated these enemies --
Joshua 10:24 When they brought these kings out to Joshua, Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and said to the chiefs of the men of war who had gone with him, “Come near, put your feet on the necks of these kings.” So they came near and put their feet on their necks.
-- and from this came the idea of making your foes into your footstool. This image is one of full authority -- Sit at my right hand -- that encompasses even those who in vain oppose the Lord's chosen regent. Thus, verse 1 is pointing to the day when the rule on David's throne enjoys total rest from his enemies and unopposed control over them.

Jesus then in Luke 20:41-43 applies this to Himself.
41 Then He said to them, “How is it that they say the Christ is David’s son? 42 For David himself says in the book of Psalms,
The Lord said to my Lord,
Sit at My right hand,
43 Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”’
The king who David speaks must be more than a mere descendant of the son of Jesse. David addresses the king as My Lord. So the son to whom David refers is greater not only by nature but also in the kind of reign he exercises. David's reign ended when he died, but Jesus's reign continues forever because all of the Messiah's enemies are defeated.

Promise: Let our foes do their worst, we are safe in Christ forever.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the truth of Your Word. Thank you for the ministry of Tabletalk that helps me to understand your truths and helps to keep me accountable to the studying of Your Word. Bless their ministry and continue to use it to strengthen and bring Glory to Your Body.


No comments:

Post a Comment