Thursday, March 30, 2017

Matthew 25:14-30 - Investing for the Future

Matthew 25:14-30
“For just like a man to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey. Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents. In the same manner the one who the two gained two more. But he who received the one went away, and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money.
“Now after a long time the master of those slaves *came and *settled accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’
“Also the one who the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’
“And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no. And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’
“But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no. Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my back with interest. Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.’
“For to everyone who has, shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Message: Investing for the Future

Time: The date of Matthew's composition is anywhere from 55-60 AD probably in Antioch of Syria. The writing is most likely to the Jews. His purpose was to show them that Jesus of Nazareth was the expected messiah and both his genealogy and his resurrection were legitimate proofs of this.

What the Lord is Saying: The essence of this passage is profit making or doing something with the resources God has given you. We are to spend less than we earn. The Bible speaks against quick wealth. Proverbs 20:21 says - An inheritance gained hurriedly at the beginning will not be blessed in the end. There are many different schemes to get rich quick because our desire for things is never ending and we think all would be better if we could have everything now. Thus, the allure of winning the lottery is in a way of acquiring all that we need at one moment. Work is often seen as an enemy in life and we tend to focus so much on play, yet many people with great wealth continue to work. I don't think it is just a desire to wanting more, but there is joy in investing in something and seeing a dividend from your work. There is nothing wrong with holding onto what we earn, but we also must have a plan for that which we acquire. I struggle with this. It seems the needs of life, ever since the kids have been born, is so great. I'm not just focused on spending for 1 or 2 people, but thinking about 5 and there seems like there are always many decisions to make with money. 

Promise: No matter how much one earns or already possesses, it can be increased through patient and wise investing.

Prayer: Lord, you are holy and I need your wisdom. Lord, I tend to repeatedly spend more than I have. Dangling in front of me are investments. I think of this house and the things that I feel like it needs and I feel a desire to take some of the equity that I have build up and use it to purchase things for my house. I think about this wedding and what will be spent on it.  I want to be wise, but it is hard Lord. Help me to make good decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment