Monday, May 29, 2023

2 Thessalonians 3:10-12 - The Mandate to Work

2 Thessalonians 3:10-12 - 10 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. 11 For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread.

Message: The Mandate to Work

Time: Paul visited Thessalonica to help start the church and then returned to Corinth to write these two letters around AD 51. He was concerned the church was being misguided so he thought to assure them of the authenticity of his letters and also to encourage them about end times in order to help establish them further in their work here on earth. 

What the Lord is Saying: The previous lesson to this one, which I did back on May 9 spoke to the idea that in working we serve others. We work so that we can serve others and give to others. I think this is an important lesson and in today's passage it is further clarified. 

I have struggled at times with those in our country that are not working and yet I do not think that means a person must always garner a paycheck in order to be seen as working. For instance, a mother staying home to raise children is working. Whether the children are homeschooled or not, children are at an age where they need guidance and nurturing and oversight and training. I am thankful for my mom that always at home while I grew up, interacting with us, preparing meals, preparing us as we returned home, helping us learn to make good decisions. It was important for her to give to ministries as well and I know my dad was willing to share his earnings with her in helping her to give to others. 

Other people retire but they still look for opportunities to serve through volunteer work. And I am impressed always of the number of people with disabilities that are continuing to work. In my work the vending machines are supported by the Commission for the Blind and we have certain city purchases that first must be looked to be provided by companies for disabled people. I like this and this encouragement that despite life challenges for mobility and reasoning that people can and are still working. I have a friend that has not worked for 15 years and it is hard for me to see this in him. He is quite defensive about his inability to work and at times he has volunteered, and at times served his parents like a parent would have served a child, but often I wonder if his daily activities are too involved in time passing by. I suppose I am thankful that up to this point I have not had to experience these challenges. So it is easy for me to be critical of others when I am not walking in their shoes. 

This passage also has application to me at my work and that I am not idle with my time and that I am a person that is busy while I work. I definitely have seen the struggle in my job to not work hard and instead dabble in other things. Rather than spending time with people after work, we often spend time at work, not doing our jobs so that we can visit. It is normal practice and yet I am not sure it is the best option. 

We are to be a people that works. "For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies." Paul mentions the need for us to discipline ourselves in I Timothy 4:7, one of my favorite passages. It is a reminder that each day we need to train ourselves to work. \

I know there are people that are unable to work, people with severe disabilities. But I think we need to be careful we do not too quickly move people over to that identification. Paul is clear that if you are willing to work then you should not eat. Those are tough words and yet we all have a tendency for laziness and our society is training us more and more in distraction. Let us make sure in life that believers are the best workers. 

Summary: We have a mandate to work, if we are able, and not only work, but to it to the best of our ability, not lazy, but striving to be the best worker possible. 

Promise: We love our neighbors through our vocation and hope that our neighbors see us as hard working and diligent workers. If we are not working at this level, then we are not loving our neighbors. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for instilling in me a desire to work and do my best. I have been trained well and encouraged always to find the vocation that is the best fit for me. I thank you for my father's leadership in this with aptitude testing. And thank you for tough bosses, like Roger Minke who woke me up and helped me see that I am to do my best always in my work. Thank you Holy Spirit for instilling this in me. Give me discernment in others and how I might help them. I pray for those I am in contact with that are working hard, but are not seeing lasting provision, bring that provision to them. Help them. And show me how I can help others continually through your Word and through in other ways you lead me. Help me to not be lazy in helping others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment