Friday, May 12, 2023

A Prayer about Patience, Pits and Praise - May 12

Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV)

I waited patiently for the Lord;
   he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
   out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
   and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
   and put their trust in him. 

Heavenly Father, my heart goes out today to those whose feet are in the mud and mire of various slimy pits--friends whose weariness is growing and patience is growing thin. The initial adrenaline rush that came after the flood is gone. Now there are long lines, red tape, looming decisions, limited resources, and short fuses. Breath, O Breath of God; send the winds of heaven. We need encouragement, wisdom and strength. 

Father, I pray both for those needing a lift from "the pit" and for the lifters, for those needing help and for the helpers. We're all in need of what you alone can give. 

You've never commanded anything without supplying the grace to obey your commands, and you've never made an empty promise. So when you command us not to become weary in doing good, and when you promise us a guaranteed harvest at the proper time (Galatians 6:9), I take you at your Word. I will wait patiently for you, Lord--patiently, expectantly, and gratefully. 

Bring great glory to yourself, Father. Cause many to see and to put their trust in you as you continue to write multiplied stories of redemption and restoration. I'm not asking you to make the mud and the mire go away; just make the Rock, Jesus, more evident and beautiful to all. Cause our feet to stand upon Jesus, more evident and beautiful to all. Cause our feet to stand upon Jesus, the only firm foundation in this life and the life to come, in times of great adversity, in times of great prosperity, and in all the in-between times. 

Fill our hearts and mouths with the new song of the gospel--hymns of praise to you, our loving and faithful Father. I pray in Jesus' trustworthy and triumphant name. Amen. 


-- Taken from "Everyday Prayers" by Scotty Smith

2 comments: