Monday, July 31, 2023

John 3:16 - God's Love for the World

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: As I study and read now today's passage John 3:16, probably the most well-known verse scripture in all of scripture, I notice that part of the verse is a repeat of verse 15, "that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life." It is also a repeat of John 3:13, "but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man" though stated more succinctly. In a way, it is a summary of what He has stated before, yet he adds that "God so loved the World." 

It is interesting but for a long time the John 3:16 flew high on Sunday at NFL football games when kickers kicked the extra point. What is sad is the man that raised these signs actually was not what one would call a strong Christian and had some issues, marrying 4 times and is now in prison. And yet he had an influence possibly on this verse being a stalwart now in society. It is a verse that most Christians have memorized. 

And yet it is a verse that I am not sure the non-Christians reads in its entirety for it focuses on Love, Hell, and Heaven and most I think stop at the Love part. Christ is shown as the only way to avoid perishing. This means he comes at a time when people are perishing and provides the answer to this problem. 

Yet, the Love is significant. When one thinks of the God of the Old Testament as told through its writers, I don't think it is "Love" that we focus on. Instead I think of a God set apart, creator, the one who has been ignored, sinned against. But Jesus does something here that has not since been spoken. He states that God loves. Alexander Maclaren says, "‘God loves’ is the greatest thing that can be said by lips." 

And this Love is personal because our belief is meant to be personal and individual. So I can know that God loves me. 

The remarkable thing about this passage is the focus on the world, "Believe" and that somehow Jesus is making it well known that to bring about eternal life a person must simply believe. Belief is not a works oriented word, but it is actually something that occurs in the heart. And yet believing in Him, Jesus, the Son of Man, means we are believing in all He is and all that He has done. So, that needs to be central in that belief. But, again, I don't see that there is anything that I have done to make myself worthy of believing apart from believing. But instead Jesus says that the work is Himself and that God gave up the Son. One things of Abraham and taking his only son up to offer him as a sacrifice and we see this picture but it is made clear that man does not sacrifice, but rather God provides the sacrifice of His Son for us. 

Romans 5:6-8 speaks of this same idea though focusing on Jesus dying for us, "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

The verse speaks of a general love God has for the world, but in saying that people must believe, we can know that there are many that do not believe in Him. In life often, Jesus is not the name coming off of people's lips. God is mentioned, but Jesus is often not mentioned. 

Also of note is perishing and eternal life. These outcomes can occur before the grave. People without the love of Jesus and believing in Him are even now perishing. But those who have Christ and believe are living in eternal life or hope. The hope contrasted by the perishing is powerful in our world today. 

Summary: God's love is significant and is a love that up to this point has not been mentioned in this way by God for His people and yet it is a love central to our Bible and changes everything about us who believe for eternity. 

Promise: The love of God is not a given, so we should be grateful for it and be careful never to speak of His love as something that we are owed or that He must show.

Prayer: O God, I thank you for your great Love for me. It is a love that does not change. I believe, and yet I know my belief in You changes and is like wind and chaff sometimes that waves. I have times of denial and I am embarrassed by this. I have times when I hide my belief. But God you love still. And You have saved me from all penalty and grant me a hope and a reality of eternal life that is remarkable. Thank you God for saving me. Thank you for making me whole and presenting me Jesus before God for all eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment