Sunday, July 2, 2023

Romans 2:6-11 - Eternal Punishment

Romans 2:6-11
6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.


Time: Paul wrote Romans from Corinth as he prepared to leave for Palestine. Phoebe (16:1,2) was given the great responsibility of delivering the letter to the Romans believers. At this time, Rome had a population of 1 million, many of whom were slaves. The Romans church was doctrinally sound, but it still needed rich doctrine and practical application. Rome had massive buildings but also slums.

What the Lord is Saying: My last lesson. I started this series on the 500th year anniversary of the Reformation 5 years ago, on December 16, 2018. I finally made it. Whew! And it ends with a study on hell. But the study has not been hell, but a joyous thing, just too much distraction and too much deliberation I suppose, but nothing to complain about. I made it. 

Today in our service at church, we looked at Matthew 7 which begins with the anthem, "Do not judge." I enjoyed looking at this passage during the service and seeing that the emphasis on this chapter is really examining oneself. This is what we need to do. We need to be people that examine ourselves fervently, because we are people that need examining. I need examining. I get comfortable too quickly. And I need to stop and stare. There are basically 4 1/2 verses on this self-examination met with bookends of "Do not judge" and then "Go ahead and judge" after you have examined oneself. 

I must admit I struggle at times examining myself. And as I get older I know I have faults, but I am also thankful to the Holy Spirit for constantly pricking me and let's face it, life without kids at home is easier. And the fact that I've learned that "Husbands, Love Your wives" is of great joy and pleasure, it helps me to remove myself from other sins. I keep learning and I keep making adjustments and yet I need to remember that God sees more in me than I can see. 

Like verse 9 of chapter 2, "There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil." Everyone. Everyone who does evil will get tribulation and distress. I think I will be judged and I will see what I have done and I will automatically be feeling distress. I simply hope my distress results in eternal happiness instead of punishment when God sees Christ in me. I think it will, because I will be focused on Christ's work on the cross. 2 Corinthians 5:21, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

The reality is we know that God will be impartial. And we want this. I don't want this, but I want those I see as unworthy. But the slate will be clean and there will be no prejudice. Verse 11, "For there is no partiality with God." 

Romans 1 and 2 is interesting for it states that we will be judged based upon the revelation that we have received or the extent we have heard Truth. That is scary in a way. The more you hear, potentially the worse off you are. And people will be judged according to the degree of their sin. From Tabletalk, "People will also be judged according to the degree of their sin. Although the slightest sin is enough to merit eternal punishment, the degree of suffering is not the same for all who receive eternal punishment. Scripture assumes degrees of sin and punishment. For example, in the Mosaic law, some sins merit the death penalty and some do not. In the New Testament, there is a love that covers a multitude of sins—a multitude of transgressions. Other sins, however, can merit excommunication (Matt. 18:15–20; 1 Peter 4:8)."

Summary:  Eternal punishment for all that are resting on their own righteousness, yet the degree of their sin and the extent of revelation will impact the type of punishment they receive. 

Promise: Eternal punishment is a sobering reality. All who stand before God on judgment day on the basis of their own works will find themselves under eternal condemnation.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for this study. Thank you for helping me understand your word. I took it slow, maybe too slow, but I pray that you would give me a good memory. Thank you for this study on hell and helping me better understand your compassion but may it still move me to be more vocal about the gospel and sharing Your good news. 





No comments:

Post a Comment