Thursday, July 27, 2023

John 3:7-8 - Irresistible Regeneration

John 3:7-8
7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: As stated yesterday, Jesus is being emphatic and this phrase "You must be born again" is a phrase that I have heard repeated, though less often it would seem in the last 10 years. But it was strong in its emphasis. I think it is a phrase that we must continue to put out there and mention to people. 

It is interesting that the word "You" in "You must be born again" is plural. So it means not only Nicodemus but everyone. 

Yesterday in the lesson I was pondering my conversion and realizing that at the point of my prayer something had already occurred. This being born again seems to be about the Spirit working in and then what follows is us believing. "We are saved by grace through faith."  Again, the Spirit gets a hold of us and changes our being to make us susceptible to the truth and then we believe and have faith. And we are saved. Romans 8:8 says, "Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." And so there needs to be a transformation in us that is away from the flesh. So again, it is the Spirit that changes us.

And so this means that those who are in the Spirit are pleasing to God.

Verse 8 is an amazing presentation of the Spirit of God and how it works - Like the Wind. It cannot be explained. We see the result in each other but we don't know how it occurs.

I admit it is easy to be discouraged by this. It can be discouraging at times to stare at results or the lack thereof. Even in my ministry role that I am in and the toil of talking to people and replying to people about the truth of God, over and over and often not seeing the results. I suppose it is normal to struggle not getting outcomes. And yet I also know nothing I do is a waste of time or effort (I Corinthians 15:58).

Granted, I am thankful for me, where I am at, and what I have, but it is a struggle at times to be this remnant and for the world to be in so much opposition to truth. But this is why the lesson is titled, "Irresistible" because if you are chosen you can't refuse. 

Summary: The Spirit moves in us to be born again, and we believe then, which pleases God. 

Promise: The point is that the Spirit can and will finally overcome all resistance to the truth in those whom God has chosen for salvation.

Prayer: O God, I am forever grateful by your forever mercy towards me. It is indeed amazing and I am indeed blessed. Help me to not get discouraged. Perhaps I am heavy at this moment for a myriad of things in this life. Thank you for the friends I have in Christ and the people of unity in my life. I wish there were more. I wish your truth was more prevalent in life today. Revive us Lord and come Holy Spirit come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment