Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 - Enjoyment in our Toil

Ecclesiastes 5:18-20
18 Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. 19 Furthermore, as for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God. 20 For he will not often consider the years of his life, because God keeps him occupied with the gladness of his heart.

Message: Enjoyment in our toil

TimeSolomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C

What the Lord is Saying:

There are two thoughts in these verses

Work is Good
Here is a noble idea -- work is a reward in itself. As you work, as you toil, there is enjoyment. This is one thing that I think our TV culture has gotten right. My wife like the Chicago series of shows on right now -- Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Chicago Med. I especially enjoy Chicago Med, the last in the series. Granted, this is TV and the shows are make believe and present the best of the best, but they also get it right by showing that working is good for us. There is great enjoyment and satisfaction in doing a good job. As we work, as we toil, there is enjoyment. I need to thank God more for the job he has given me. 

Wealth is Good
I think I understand these verses, in fact, I think this is a verse than many people understand too much. As I read and understand scripture and the role of ministry we are to have in our life, I do think it is important to have a verse like this that reminds us that we do have a right to have enjoyment in the midst of our toil. But, I also think us Americans have shifted to the other extreme of enjoyment. We are eating too much, drinking too much and spending our days just sitting and enjoying. And yet we are not living just a few years of life anymore, but many ears and spending many of these years in this enjoyment. 

Conclusion
But, this verse should also be an anthem to all of those outside of the faith that look into Christianity and think that it is a faith of drudgery and duty. On the contrary, God commands us to enjoy ourselves through these words from Solomon. Life is meant to have enjoyment. I need to remember this, for I think I struggle sometimes taking it easy, but maybe not. Maybe I just take it easy in other ways that to others may look like work. 

Promise: Enjoy the work that you have and the experiences it brings to your life and then enjoy the result of your labor. But do not focus too much on either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment