Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Romans 3:21-22a - Faithful Through The Ages

Romans 3:21-22a - But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe.

Message: Faithful Through The Ages

Time: The Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16 year old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. Persecution of Christians wouldn't begin until AD 64. The church was experiencing times of relative peace. From where he wrote, Corinth, was a hotbed of sexual immorality and idol worship.

What the Lord is Saying:

As the title of this devotion declares, God has been faithful through the ages. The idea here is that throughout history God has called people to Himself and throughout history there has been one people called. As RC Sproul spoke about in his first message, My Faithful God from the series Living By Faith, we do not come to faith in God like we are leaping into something with no evidence. I have always been marveled at how the Mormons when they have shared with me focused so much on a feeling and they shared this verse from Moroni 10:3-4 telling me to ask God if it is not true and if you are sincere, then you will told it is true. But God shows us that our faith is not based on a feeling or no evidence (in fact, most of the evidence for LDS belief is very questionable). 

We have evidences in the natural world. One of my favorite passages is Romans 1:18-32 which shows how the world in which we live, the creation is constantly testifying of God. We can't look at all of this beauty without wondering how it came about. 

And we have a God in history that has shown mercy continually to His people. In my study of Genesis this past year with Bible Study Fellowship I have seen this. I have seen continually how God interceded on behalf of his people, giving them promises of blessing their descendants and it coming to pass. He shows His divine favor continually. He has shown me mercy. I shared at BSF about the hopelessness I felt early on in our marriage and finding little worth in my life for providing for my family and yet, He was with me and has carried me through this to where I am today.

We have evidences in the Bible of a chosen people. Throughout scripture He chooses the people of Israel, and then gives them many reminders of this through the Law and Commandments. We can see God's faithfulness in this and Paul reminds us of this continually in his letters that we are chosen by God. There are differences in people obviously throughout history, but it is clear that God has chosen people, not everyone. But, He has chosen certain ones. Often it is not by the way of the birth order but simply out of His great grace. God is faithful forevermore. 

And in today's passage is another example of how God chose us apart from our works. What a comfort to know that God isn't waiting for my righteousness. This is the way of the world. We do good continually to receive rewards, but with God, He chooses us and His righteousness is manifested apart from our doing of His Law.  But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested ...through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe. I can became righteous by faith. If my obedience merits Him, I get some or all of the glory, but if the righteousness of God is given to me simply by faith, then God is glorified. 

God did something new in the New Testament through Jesus. And yet God has been faithful in every age to His people: through a new Prophet (Deut. 18:15), a new Priest (Isa. 53), or a new King (Ezek. 37:24). It is actually easy to know Him and His purposes. He is faithful through the ages. 

Promise: God is faithful and this is why I study His Word, to understand His promises and what He has done, can do in my life and will do. I abandon my life to Him, not to receive gifts, but to receive Him and the prize of eternal life with Him. 

Prayer: O God, you are faithful. I praise you and glorify you for saving me. You showed me faith clearly. Thank you for not staring at my achievements and waiting for my faithfulness. In Christ as I abandon and surrender my life to You, You show yourself to me and to others. Thank you for the evidence of You and the presence of You in life. You have affected me and provided for me. You have given me a peace that surpasses all understanding. Thank you for choosing me. 

Question: What sort of evidence do you see in your life of God providing or rescuing you? 



No comments:

Post a Comment