Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Romans 6:15-23 - The Antinomian Error (Version 2)

October 13

Romans 6:15-23

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. 22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Message: The Antinomian Error

TimePaul route to Rome, the city has never visited, from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57. The rights to a church that he believes needed to hear basic Gospel doctrine. The city was a hotbed of sexual immorality and idolatry.

What the Lord is Saying:

I've studied this passage before. This passage covered 4 lessons I did in September 2014 when I studied Romans. Wow, I did 30 lessons that month. A lesson every day? Whoa. Living Under Grace, Slaves to Righteousness, Slavery to Sin and Its Fruit, and the Wages of Sin vs. The Gift of Life.

October 18

The justified person has died to sin and earlier in chapter 6 Paul is asking whether we continue in sin that grace may increase and the answer is emphatically "no" because sin is dead in our life. That is the way we need to view it because that is the way God views it. And then in verse 15 we wonder that since we are no longer under the law, which was also called a curse, can we sin then? The law never meant to save us, but rather guide us and show us we are sinners. And this still is true today. But the thought was that law living meant complete obedience where grace living is complete freedom so maybe breaking the law is not a big deal. 

And then further in this text in verses 16-19 I learn I have shifted to now being a slave of righteousness. The Christian that walks in a life where God has forgiven him completely and cleansed him from all forms of unrighteousness now walks in righteousness and wants righteousness completely, in all forms of their life. Why? Because any act of unrighteousness in my life is an offense to God; any act is embarrassing to me when it is committed. There is no middle ground. I think we wish there was. But I no longer live in non-Christ like ways, but instead shift to all righteous living. 

This is what I remember from studying these passages. 

An Antinomian is a person that views the law as not applicable anymore in a person's life. This is a person that says the moral law is no longer relevant and obedience to the commandments is no longer needed. Therefore, Christians can live however they want. It is a shift. I was speaking to someone the other day and they remarked that the Law of God is simply there as a nice story in the Bible but we only need to emphasize the New Testament or New Covenant living and yet Jesus in the New Covenant remarked that the Law had not disappeared. 

The Law of God has not been set aside. Instead God sent Jesus to be obedient to it. We were incapable of perfect obedience. Thus, the Law remains what it was - showing us we are incapable of following it. I still need this reminder. 

October 19

Exodus 19:5-6 -- 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; 6 and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”

2 Corinthians 6:14 - 14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

I John 1:5-7 - 5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.


I John 2:4 - Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

I John 3:6 - No one who abides in him keeps on sinning

Summary: I think the point of this lesson today is to remind us that the law of God is still relevant in our life today. It remains a guide to our life. It is not to be dismissed. Commandments are still needed in our life. Each of us should be following God's commands and should desire to follow them -- all of them. A slave to righteousness is how I should live. 

Promise: From Tabletalk -- "People who possess saving faith earnestly desire to obey God’s commandments. They do not seek to do so to merit eternal life; they do so in order to thank God and demonstrate the authenticity of their faith."

Prayer: O God you are holy and true. You have saved me from the penalty of living an unrighteous life. In response, help me to continue to want to live righteously. Lord, sin is still present in me. As you know I stumble still. I get tempted and I give into that sin, not trusting in You and Your ways. I am two-faced - one moment saying I will abide in You and then the next moment lying and seeking my own desires. For my own sake, I need to be different. For your sake, I need to honor You with my life and surrender my entire will to you. I say it again - I don't want to be a partner of lawlessness. Thank you for restoring me and making me clean again. Keep helping me evaluate my life and submitting to you. I need your strength in me. 


Note: I follow the readings from the Tabletalk Magazine devotional, though I am a little behind and working through 2017 devotionals. 2017 is a study of key biblical doctrines celebrating the 500th year of the Reformation. The month of July is about the right use of God's Law; June was justification by faith alone; May about solus Christus - Christ Alone; April, salvation by grace alone; March, the sovereign providence of God; February, the doctrine of revelation and the various aspects of the doctrine of Scripture that sola Scriptura seeks to preserve; January, the doctrine of God. 

Bringing me to Christ
The Restraint of the Law - the law is given for lawless, unholy, disobedient people, to restrain us from acting on our sinful thoughts. Restraint and Guilt - the law is meant to restrain Christians and non-Christians alike; so that others may see Christ. The Law's Revelation of Sin - The Law reveals sin, at times making it more desirable, and show the sin which people commit and the complete standard it expects. The Law and Our Powerlessness - We are powerless over the Law and Sin revealed. It is in Christ that we receive forgiveness and the power to resist sin. The Law our Guardian - The law is not a tool of justifying me, but rather it is an instrument to bring me to Christ and show me my need for Him. 

Guiding our Lives
The Guidance of the Law - The Law is a guide in our lives for what pleases God and what it looks like to walk in holiness. The Antinomian Error - We were slaves to sin, but now we are slaves to obedience and righteousness. Judaizing Legalism - The error of Judaizing Legalism is the idea that obedience brings about God's acceptance of us for salvation. The Deadliest Form of Legalism - This legalism is that one would get too focused on external practices instead of focusing on the heart.

The Law is our Guide
The Centrality of Love - Love and the law go hand in hand. We do not belong to God unless we love our neighbor, and we cannot love our neighbor without knowing and doing God‘s law and loving him. Finding Guidance in the Law - God's Word, all if it, is a guide to my life and I am to meditate on it continually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment