Monday, October 17, 2022

Esther 9:20-22 - Thanksgiving in Worship

Esther 9:20-22 

20 Then Mordecai recorded these events, and he sent letters to all the Jews who were in all the provinces of King Ahasuerus, both near and far, 21 obliging them to celebrate the fourteenth day of the month Adar, and the fifteenth day of the same month, annually, 22 because on those days the Jews rid themselves of their enemies, and it was a month which was turned for them from sorrow into gladness and from mourning into a holiday; that they should make them days of feasting and rejoicing and sending portions of food to one another and gifts to the poor.


Time: Unknown author and book named after the start of the story, a young Jewish girl named Hadassah taken from her guardian, Mordecai, and forced to compete for the affection of the king. As an unlikely contestant for a beauty pageant she became queen of Persia and was renamed Esther, meaning "star." The events in the book of Esther occurred from 483 BC to 473 BC, during the first half of the reign of King Xerxes, who chose Esther as his queen. It is the only book in the Bible not to mention the name of God, however it is one of the most skillfully written books of the Bible, but God's sovereignty permeates the book. Its focus is the feast of Purim. This book reminds us of how God weaves out our lives and all of its events for His glory. 

What the Lord is Saying: Purim is a Jewish holiday which commemorates the saving of the Jewish people from Haman. Haman was king Ahasuerus evil second-in-command. He cast the lot, called "pur" in order to determine the days the Jews would be executed (Esther 3:7-9).  Esther and Mordecai though would foil the plan. Esther, the wife of Ahasuerus and thus, the queen of Persia. 

Mordecai discovers a plot to kill Ahasuerus. Haman is appointed as second in command but refuses to bow to Mordecai, then discovers he is a Jew and casts lot to then determine a time to execute all Jews. In response Mordecai and other Jews enter a time of intense mourning and lamenting and fasting. Esther discovers what has happened and begins an exchange of conversation with Mordecai. Her husband does not yet know she is a young Jewish girl. After back and forth deciding and delays she finally reveals to her husband she is Jewish and the plan to exterminate all Jewish people. Ahasuerus instead has Haman hanged on the gallows he had set up for Mordecai. A decree is then given that allows enemies of the Jews to be killed and this results in 75,000 killed. Mordecai becomes second in command and institutes the annual commemoration of this saving of the Jewish people - known as the Purim and is celebrated today as a joyous time, with maybe a carnival, exchanging of gifts and donations to the poor.

It is interesting that at the time there was another example of fasting after the people heard of the difficulty that would be coming their way. Again mourning and lamenting and fasting here are also going hand in hand.  And even in the church today there can be special times of thanksgiving to commemorate different events or special milestones including Thanksgiving holiday, paying off mortgage, or staff anniversaries. 

And yet thanksgiving is also a part of normal worship. I was taught the acronym ACTS to pray which stands for Adoration-Confession-Thanksgiving-Supplication. It reminds me that there are many things to do when we pray before asking. And giving thanks is part of this. I see churches do this in thanking God for his forgiveness of their sins and also there is a thankful spirit of all that God has done. Yesterday, we sang the hymn "When we All get to heaven" and that song gives an attitude of the joy and thankfulness we will have when we enter a new life in Christ. 

I miss this at times. But, I am very thankful for the wife God has given me and the children he has given me and the parents. Even though my dad doesn't have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ he has always supported me in my faith. I am thankful for all of the little things my mom did to encourage me in my faith. I pray I can be a fraction of this towards my wife and children and now grandchildren. And a thankful heart needs to continue to be a part of me. My favorite chapter of Romans 1 marks that the first thing I see that goes in unregenerate man is not having a thankful heart. Romans 1:21 says, "For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened."

Summary: Giving thanks is a part of our prayers that we make thanking God for all that He has done. It can be part of special occasions and it can also be a part of our weekly coming together time on Sunday morning. 

Promise: Cultivating thankful hearts will help us remember who God is and why He is worthy of our praise.

Prayer: God, how quickly at times I forget to give things and get out of this practice and instead get in the practice of wanting more and more and dissatisfied with the way things are going and want a better way. This is all consuming me at times and takes over my body. Lord, there is so much you have provided to me that I can be thankful for and I am indeed grateful to You. Thank you for giving me salvation and sending Your Son to live a better life for me to emulate but also to be my sacrifice and the perfect sacrifice for all. Thank you Jesus for rising again and perfectly redeeming me so that I would live forever in heaven with you. Keep that thankful attitude in my life continually and forgive me when I get off center from this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment