Tuesday, March 12, 2024

John 13:18-20 - Receiving the One Whom Jesus Sends

John 13:18-20
18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, "HE WHO EATS MY BREAD HAS LIFTED UP HIS HEEL AGAINST ME." 19 From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He. 20 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: Verse 18 is a quote from Psalm 41:9 - "Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me." Jesus here once again takes a text that served one purpose in one time and now applies it to a different time. He takes the principal and applies it now to a different time. 

Tabletalk explains this well:
David complains that one of his meal companions lifted up his heel against him. In the ancient Near East, to eat a meal with someone was a sign of friendship and trust, so it was especially terrible for someone who sat at your table to betray you. David was the greatest king of ancient Israel, so the psalm indicates that his betrayal was not incompatible with his position. The same is true of Jesus. He would be betrayed, but that would not make Him any less the King. Moreover, Psalm 41 also predicts the final triumph of David over his enemies. By quoting the psalm, Jesus indicated that despite His betrayal, He would have the ultimate victory over His betrayers.
Verse 18 begins with, "I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen." Is Jesus expressing that the previous words that he stated are not meant in application toward all people, but only for those that He has chosen? For instance, serving one another or washing one another's feet. The idea of doing as He has done for us. I mean, is he saying these actions that He is asking us to carry out need to be carried out on all people. If that is the case, then is Jesus saying how we are to treat one another in the Body or in the Kingdom but not necessarily those outside of it? 

Or is he coming back to the words only of verse 11 in which "Not all of you are clean?" Surely I am analyzing this too much and what Jesus is referencing is that there is one among them that does not take application from these words. 

And now to verse 19 - Jesus offers a statement to help them in their faith, to help it be increased, once again showing them that He has been sent by God and the words that He speaks brings comfort to them. "From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He." Jesus explains the future. The reality is the event of Judas' betrayal has not yet occurred, so verse 18 while clear to us because of what we know of in the future is not clear to the disciples. Jesus confirms that Judas will betray Him and so He offers to the disciples this knowledge, showing them once again His knowledge of all events of time, both now and in the future. Jesus is proving Himself to the disciples. 

For verse 20 Jesus confirms that the disciples are there to be His ambassadors. There will be those that turn from Jesus but receive God and in turn receive Jesus. "whomever I (the Father) send receives Me (Jesus) and he who (disciple) receives Me (Jesus) receives Him (the Father) who sent Me (Jesus)." Judas through His betrayal injures all, not only betraying Jesus but betraying the Father and betraying the purposes of why Jesus has come and been sent by the Father, betraying the kingdom of God.

Once again, I appreciate the words of John Gill (1697-1771) here:
he that receiveth whomsoever I send, receiveth me, and he that receiveth me, receiveth him that sent me; I have sent you in my name to preach the Gospel; you are my ambassadors, and you will be honourably received by many; and which I shall regard and take notice of, and esteem, as though they had received me; even as my Father has sent me into this world, as a Saviour and Redeemer, a prophet, priest, and King; and as many as have received me, are looked upon by my Father, as having received him: in short, such as cordially receive and embrace the ministers of the Gospel, receive Christ, in whose name they come, and whom they preach; and such who receive Christ, as preached and held forth in the everlasting Gospel, receive the Father of Christ; and partake of his love, grace, and kindness, shown forth in the mission and gift of Christ to them: Christ, as Mediator, represented his Father that sent him; and the ministers of Christ represent him; so that what is done to them, either in a way of reception or rejection, he takes as done to himself: it is a common saying among the Jews (c), "that the messenger of a man is as himself". 
Summary: The betrayal of Judas was foreseen by Jesus. Let that confirm to us Jesus understanding of the future and confirm that His ambassadors who receive Jesus, receive the Father who sent Jesus. 

Promise: From Tabletalk, "Let us endeavor to receive everyone whom Christ sends to exhort us."

Prayer: Lord, all the events of your scripture here confirm You and confirm the truth of You and that You had knowledge of all events of time. For the Jew here it was important to see that connection between receiving Jesus and being sent by you Father God. Thank you for making yourself known and being this confirmation. Help me to be an ambassador for You continually and to speak Your truth to the world around me and make you known in the way I speak and act and live. I want to be your ambassador. And I want to be authentic always in the ways I live, with a desire of you being well pleased of me. I praise you God and thank you for calling me. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment