Wednesday, April 24, 2024

John 16:4b-11 - The Ministry of the Holy Spirit

John 16:4b-11
4b These things I did not say to you at the beginning, because I was with you. 5 “But now I am going to Him who sent Me; and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. 8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: The farewell discourse that Jesus gives in John 14-17 continues and for me I feel like he is giving comfort to the disciples - assuring them in him going away that this is the better outcome for everyone and also assuring them that everything will be okay for them, namely because the Holy Spirit, the Helper, will remain with them. 

The Helper or Holy Spirit's ministry purpose Jesus states, "convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment." John 15:26 said the Spirit would testify of Jesus. John 14:26 says the Helper will teach you all things and bring remembrance all that Jesus said. The Spirit will work in the Christian's life teaching all things and bringing to the forefront of people's minds all that Jesus said. What an amazing and well needed attribute and benefit the Christian receives. 

And then the Spirit will convict the world in their sin, righteousness and judgment. I know in my conversations with people in other parts of the world, especially the African countries, even parts of the Middle East, and Indian countries that people are coming to faith and eyes are being opened and the so the Holy Spirit is at work in convicting. At times in America though I don't see this happening currently at a great rate. I think we have Christians recommitting lives, but it seems we have a lot of people leaving the church or young people not starting church after leaving the homes in which they have been raised. For the world, I wonder at times if many God has given over or allowed them to pursue their sinful ways since they seem to love those ways so much - as this is talked about in Romans 1:24-31. I say this because the Gospel does not seem to be penetrating. Now I also think the church has diminished their evangelism as well. Granted, it is hard to continue in these efforts when the audience continues to ridicule, ignore, or be indifferent to the message. 

I think verses 9, 10, and 11 are interesting:
concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 
concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 
concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

Conviction for sin as people are not believing in Jesus so their sin needs to be exposed. That seems clear to me. Even more specifically it is rejecting the Lord Jesus. This is the chief sin people are guilty. People refuse to submit to him and instead choose to reign their own lives. This is the big regret that people will have as voiced by Zechariah 7:10, "And they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and mourn." 

Second, the conviction concerning righteousness of Christ. The world would be convicted and convinced that He was indeed innocent for any crimes people have said he committed. And people will be amazed. His resurrection and ascension will show everyone that He is not an imposter. By Jesus being raised from the dead he would be shown to be innocent, and thus confirmed that He was sent by God. And Jesus will no longer be seen by them until he returns to judgment. 

Third, the conviction concerting the judgment or that God is just and He will execute judgment. By Jesus dying, Satan is judged or condemned. Jesus is victorious. Judgment will be executed on all of the foes of Jesus. 

And thus we have in these words the confirmation of the work of the Holy Spirit in converting man and woman. 

I am convinced of my sin and that Christ is perfect, not an imposter but the Son of God and Satan will be judged while Jesus will be victorious.  

Summary: Jesus confirms it is better for him to leave to the Father, as the Holy Spirit will be with us and convict the world of sin, Christ's innocence and Christ the victor over Satan. 

Promise: Great words from Tabletalk, "The Holy Spirit was active in the world before the ascension of Jesus, but the outpouring of the Spirit as the result of Jesus’ ministry has meant a mightier work of the Spirit among the nations. People around the world have been streaming into the kingdom of God as the Spirit has given them new hearts to believe in Christ. Because of the Spirit’s work, we can be confident that He will use our proclamation of the gospel to grow the kingdom of God."

Prayer: O Lord God, you are iindeed the great one and have lived the perfect life to be the perfect substitute and save me forever. You are coming again. Satan is vanquished. You are indeed King. O Praise the Name of Jesus. O thank you Holy Spirit for your comfort and reminding me always of my condition, my need for a Savior. Lord, I pray you would continue to awaken souls, especially in this land of America. Help your servants like me to be faithful to preaching Jesus and His gospel truth and turn hearts around to you. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment