Monday, September 16, 2024

John 20:16-18 - Mary Recognizes Her Lord

John 20:16-18
16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, “Rabboni!” (which means, Teacher). 17 Jesus said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: These are short lessons. Not much here or not much I am discovering from these. Jesus calls out Mary's name and now she recognizes him, stating "Teacher." I suppose what Jesus says here - now - is interesting -- Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” The clinging language may have been said because Mary was now sort of at his feet perhaps and bowing before him and being close to him, so says something like, "This is not the time." And then says, "I have not yet ascended to the Father" which might mean - I've still got work to do. So then what she needs to do is to go and speak these truths. For the time is now. Jesus had been saying these type of words to his disciples. He had predicted this moment and now here he is saying these words to them - This is it. This is the time. I'm going to My Father, to my God. And He is your father and your God. 

It is as if Jesus has always been speaking to them and trying to get them to understand what he is saying to them. There is an emphatic approach he is having with them. And that is growing. 

Currently in our home, we are hosting two hockey players, who are seeking to get college scholarships or play in college on a team. And for now, they are on a development team with the hopes of being seen by a college scout. As they are playing on this team now for the 2nd year and with us a 2nd year, they have mentioned that in their team practices there are several players that are not simply listening to their coach. The coach is speaking and coaching them and asking them to do things, but it sounds like they continue to not listen and instead do only what they want to do as players. Our two players, perhaps in their 2nd year, understand this better. 

And perhaps Jesus is still saying these same words to his disciples, "Would you simply listen to me and do what I am saying? The time is now. This is happening." I even saw a commentary say that the resurrection which has occurred is the beginning stage of his ascension. 

Summary: Mary now sees that Jesus is here, but Jesus makes it clear, He is ascending to the Father and Mary needs to tell others this is happening and the time is now. 

Promise: The Time is Now

Prayer: Lord, are you saying something to me that I am not picking up on? Am I hard hearted? I wonder if I am like these disciples in any way and you are trying to get me to understand something I am not understanding. I wonder if I am being stubborn in any way like these disciples were. If so, I pray that I am awakened to a right understanding. Thank you God for your mission and resurrecting Jesus. You be praised God always. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment