Monday, October 7, 2024

John 21:15-17 - Jesus Restores Peter

John 21:15-17
15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Tend My sheep."


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: As Jesus was being interrogated by Jewish and Romans officials prior to being crucified, Peter had an opportunity to show that He was a believer in Christ and yet in that instance denied Jesus three times. It was Peter that Jesus had proclaimed a prediction and plan to build his church - Matthew 16:18. Peter was involved in Jesus walking on the water. He had a boldness about him, but he also seems to have struggled in his complete devotion. Thomas was recorded earlier also about one that needed to see to believe. It is interesting in these few stories of Jesus following His resurrection that we see encounters with Jesus that were not always perfect encounters with perfect believers in Christ but those that experienced honest ideas and reflections. 

In this instance, after Peter dying Jesus three times, Jesus asks Peter three times to tend his sheep. A denial of Jesus does not disqualify one from ministry. Once Jesus has chosen someone that person is sealed. And that person will be a vessel God uses, despite the imperfections. This is a comfort to me. God uses all kinds of people and situations and all types of imperfections. Peter was teachable and one that wanted to be used and wanted to be a vessel. This is what is important. Not that he got all the answers to every question right every time. I really appreciate this. I think in the church and in many circles, some sort of perfection of understanding is expected of people. We are on a journey and trying to figure things out and it is harsh I think to have such high expectations, especially in our world that has so many different flavors. Even there are many different flavors of those that hold to this book, without adding additional texts. 

Thus, this passage speaks to Peter being restored. After denying Jesus 3 times, Jesus is asked three times whether he loved Jesus "more than these." Jesus is restored because his love is real. 

"Jesus gave Peter the duty of shepherding His people, of teaching them the truth that feeds their souls." In the previous encounter of Peter's denial, he denied being a follower of Jesus. Conversely, what restores him is not a direct question of following Jesus but rather obedience to Jesus. I am not simply one that follows God, but I show my true colors by being obedient to Him. 

Summary: After earlier Peter denying Jesus three times, to be restored to his place among the disciples, he confessed three times that he would care for Christ's followers. 

Promise: I am to feed people the Word of God. 

Prayer: O Lord, you are Savior and You are God. You are one I will follow, but also the One that I want to obey and do what you ask. There is fullness and completeness in this. I want to be a person that is a doer of the Word. Give me this strength each day. Thank you for bringing someone into my life that I can speak with. Give me opportunities to speak to others your truths. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment