Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Ecclesiastes 4:4-6 - Pursuing Contentment

Ecclesiastes 4:4-6
I have seen that every labor and every skill which is done is the result of rivalry between a man and his neighbor. This too is vanity and striving after wind. The fool folds his hands and consumes his own flesh. One hand full of rest is better than two fists full of labor and striving after wind.

Message: Pursuing Contentment

Time: Solomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

This message is entitled contentment, which for me, is a difficult concept. I am not sure what it means to be content. I think I know what it means from an economic stance. I need to be content with what God has provided me and not feel like I need more. In fact, it seems like in life, the more I have the worse off I am. Every time I get a raise, the money is gone before I know it, being spent on other commitments.

But, contentment in life, on a time standpoint, as far as what I spend my time on, is also difficult. In my present job I could easily stay at work all night, but I know that I need to leave the office and get home. At home, I wonder how much time each day should really be spent in relaxation, sitting in front of a screen watching something. That is where I struggle to this day, often not real satisfied with just sitting in front of a TV, so I can get through such and such TV show that my wife and I have decided we like. I think about reading a book instead during that time or even doing a Bible Study. I think about the early days of dating and courting and how much time was spent in the Word, and now, it happens individually, but not very often as a couple.

In my TableTalk, the write-up begins with this idea of seeking contentment or balance in our lives.

The Preacher here in verse 4 brings up an interesting point to begin by stating, "every labor and every skill which is done is rivalry between a man and his neighbor." To me, he may be using this to set up a point because I am not sure this is the focus of man, but rather there is the potential of man to think that his work is basically the result of envy and we work because we want something better than our neighbor. I think I work hard to work for the Lord and provide for my family. Sure, there are times when I think my providing isn't enough and that "isn't enough" thought often is there because I look out on the landscape at other people and what they have been able to provide for their families and immediately, I think what I am doing is not good enough (and yet more is not always what I think is needed, but rather the right balance).

After this statement he remarks that this is vanity and striving after wind. This makes sense, if our desire is simply to do better than our neighbor then this is a losing battle. We will never be satisfied and even if we think we are accomplishing it, what does it matter, but temporal enjoyment.

So, that is the laborer, but then the Preacher mentions the fool or the lazy man. The fool folds his hands and consumes his own flesh. The fool does nothing but sit idly. This is the person that equally disturbs me. This is the person that seems content to live off the government or their parents or both. If given the opportunity this person is going to do whatever it takes to basically do thinks that feed his flesh. The flesh likes to be entertained and fed -- once again spent time doing things that are fleeting and will pass away. In the end, the laborer and the fool or lazy person have the same outcome in their lives. They both are living an empty life of seeking after things that don't really matter. The hard worker amasses toys, the lazy person amasses nothing, but both are seeking things that will result in little. 

Verse 6 provides the conclusion. What is it that we should desire in life? One hand full of rest is better than two fists full of labor and striving after wind. It is better to possess what you can handle or what your one hand can hold versus living life wanting to fill up both hands or even folding his hands (verse 5). Rest is important in our lives and rest is often about trust. I should work hard six days and then the 7th rest and feel fine that I am resting because I do not have to be busy all the time.  

Promise: Pursue contentment, accepting what God has provided.


No comments:

Post a Comment