Sunday, January 17, 2016

Proverbs 5:15-20 - Standing Firm Against Adultery

Proverbs 5:15-20
15 Drink water from your own cistern and fresh water from your own well.
16 Should your springs be dispersed abroad, streams of water in the streets?
17 Let them be yours alone and not for strangers with you.
18 Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19 As a loving hind and a graceful doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times;
Be exhilarated always with her love.
20 For why should you, my son, be exhilarated with an adulteress and embrace the bosom of a foreigner?

Message: Rejoice in your wife

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:


In the previous 14 verses of Proverbs 5, Solomon gives clear warnings to his pupil regarding committing adultery. Between the two warnings are the points that (1) it is not how it may appear, and (2) it will yield a hard life both today and for eternity. 

Solomon continues the conversation here in these verses, but here talks about how we are to live, with this adultery in mind. It is true there can be application to other idolatrous passions in our lives but it is clear that this is talking about adultery and cheating on our wife, or the woman that God has given us. And it really goes without saying that marriage is sacred and these are passions that are not meant to be stirred prior to marriage and so adultery is viewed even as a warning that is presented in Song of Solomon as "do not arouse or awaken love before its proper time."

Only enjoy your wife
Verses 15-17 are the clear direction from Solomon that, the pupil, or son, is to keep in mind that his relationship with his wife and more specifically, the sensual relationship with his wife, is for his eyes only and to only be enjoyed by him and he is not to seek out anyone else for this enjoyment. It is not a sin to notice beauty or a beautiful person but to seek out after that person for further gazing and interest is a sin. Society knows that sex and beauty pulls people in and so this temptation is present in our world all the more. 

I've heard verse 15 mentioned several times and it is a verse I have loved reading in the Bible. It speaks clearly and reminds me that God is very concerned about my relationship with my wife and the importance of that relationship. Drink water from your own cistern and fresh water from your own well.

Adam Clarke (1760 or 1762 - 1832) was a British Methodist theologian and Biblical scholar. He wrote on this passage: Be satisfied with thy own wife; and let the wife see that she reverence her husband; and not tempt him by inattention or unkindness to seek elsewhere what he has a right to expect, but cannot find, at home. These are tough words especially to the wife to not tempt the husband to seek out attention and kindness from other sources.

Verse 16 says, Should your springs be dispersed abroad, streams of water in the streets? Your springs or fountains are the lawful husband and wife relationship. The streams are their offspring. Children can be dispersed abroad when they are grown up and carrying on with other lawful relationships.

Not roving passions 
My passions are to be for my wife and my wife alone. They are not to be for anyone else. Again, this is hard as the world presents itself too many temptations. But, this is not their problem, but really my problem. My satisfaction is to only come from my wife and I am to be satisfied with her. Let them be yours alone. My passion is not for anyone else. If a person goes into a relationship with other women and their is offspring then it becomes unclear who's offspring is what. The harlot has many partners, so how can you be sure what is yours; and not for strangers with you.

Know (only) your wife
There is clearly an intimate union present between a husband and wife. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful wife; the Spirit of God is in her and she submits to me and satisfies me completely. This testifies more clearly to me God's graces. My wife is to be mine completely and it pains me to think of days when I have had the idea that she is not sufficient. At times, early in my life, non-married life, I trained my mind to think that I could engage in mind harlotry. Oh how this is contrary to God's perfect plan. I am to be patient and wait for the wife of my youth. When she came she was everything I could have dreamed of and more. 

The hind and does were prized and petted upon for their beauty and affectionate dispositions. They are not rough and tough creatures, but delicate and graceful and so they should be treated as such. The husband is to treat his wife with dignity and not simply an object for his desire. There is a union present there that is firm. Her bosom or breasts are to charm him and satisfy him, not for all days, but at all times. It is possible that sickness and illness may come to the wife. The important thing here is the body of the wife is for the husband and meant to be his charm. I often have thought of a mainstream song by Backstreet Boys which says she is my safest place to hind. The wife is my refuge and my safe place. I am to be exhilarated always with her love.  

It is clear that it makes no sense to be exhilarated with an adulteress and embrace the bosom of a foreigner. Why should we seek after something that isn't kin to us and made for me? It makes no sense. 

Promise: Rejoice in the wife of my wife. She is everything that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment