Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Psalm 45:1-9 - The Divine and Davidic Throne

Psalm 45:1-9 
My heart overflows with a good theme; I address my verses to the King; My tongue is the pen of a ready writer. You are fairer than the sons of men; Grace is poured upon Your lips; Therefore God has blessed You forever. Gird Your sword on Your thigh, O Mighty One, In Your splendor and Your majesty! And in Your majesty ride on victoriously, For the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness; Let Your right hand teach You awesome things. Your arrows are sharp; The peoples fall under You; Your arrows are in the heart of the King’s enemies. Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of joy above Your fellows. All Your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made You glad. Kings’ daughters are among Your noble ladies; At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir.

Message: The Divine and Davidic Throne

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

This Psalm is a love song, written for the celebration of marriage between king and queen, though in the NASB (above) God is recognized throughout this Psalm as the ultimately the God who appoints kings.

This Psalm is also a hard Psalm. I am struggling a little with it, not real sure what I am supposed to get out of it. I have been looking at it for the past couple of days now and I'm not real sure about it.

This is a King or a monarchy that follows the Lord: You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. Again, something I have struggled with or rather, found challenging, as I read these Psalms is how my prayer life often doesn't praise God or acknowledge God for who He is. My prayers are all about supplication and requests and needs versus praise and being satisfied for who God is and what He has done.

In a way, this is a Psalm that praises the King that we have in the King of Kings. He is fair. He is upright. His reign is forever and ever. He anoints people and gives His power to them. Grace is on His lips. He blesses earthly kings. He is full of splendor and majesty. People bow down before Him.

Lord, I want to serve You and speak to You through my prayers in a way that honors You correctly. Forgive me for simply coming to you with requests and what I need and not starting out singing your praises. Lord, you are the King of Kings. You are fair. You are upright. Your reign is forever and ever. You anoint people and give them power. Grace is on Your Lips. You bless us and all earthly kings. You are full of splendor and majesty and we bow down before you. You are great indeed.

Promise: Look for leaders that humbly serve God and His people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment