Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Psalm 119:49-56 - The Word of God in Times of Trouble

Psalm 119:49-56

Remember the word to Your servant, in which You have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that Your word has revived me.  The arrogant utterly deride me, yet I do not turn aside from Your law.  I have remembered Your ordinances from of old, O Lord, and comfort myself.  Burning indignation has seized me because of the wicked, who forsake Your law.  Your statutes are my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.  O Lord, I remember Your name in the night, and keep Your law.  This has become mine, that I observe Your precepts.

Message: The Word of God in times of trouble

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

In this part of Psalm 119, the longest Psalm and chapter of the Bible, the psalmist remembers the word that has been given to him, here referring to the scriptures given thus far in the Old Testament, but today being the full revelation of scripture, and the word provides aid to him in times of trouble. This is my comfort in my affliction. God's word is where we can go to revive us and give us comfort. 

But, what I find interesting in this passage is the word of God that gives him hope is more specifically, the law, God's ordinances, His statutes, His precepts. It is true that the words of God's word chronicle the Hope we have in the future, hope for a better place, a different place where intimate communion with God will be an everyday occurrence. But, how is that God's laws and ordinances and statutes are able to give us comfort in our affliction? 

Here the Psalmist states, "I have remembered Your ordinances from of old, O Lord, and comfort myself." God's promises and words have been there throughout His life. His word provides us what we need. I always think of Proverbs 3:5-6 and how it reminds me that simply trusting in God will make my path straight. There is comfort in the way God has set up this world. In the garden, Adam and Eve had everything that they needed but still got lured away. They believed the serpent that they were to doubt God, and so they lusted for power, and for the greed that they could be like God and have everything. They had what they needed but they believed the lie that because they didn't have the entire picture, they didn't have everything. God had already given them a command and that command protects them. To this day God commands us. The 10 commandments as a reminder are not suggestions, but they are there to protect us. How often have I told my children that my wife and I really have their best interest in mind. They want to see it all but we are asking them to trust us, that we see it all. 

This to me is what it means to trust God and His word and His command. His command that they could eat everything in the garden but not one tree had their best in mind. God provides us with everything that we need. His commandments of loving Him, keeping the Sabbath holy, obeying our parents, are all there for our protection. They give us comfort that God is in charge and His ways are the best ways. 

Promise: God redeems us through His hand of providence, namely in providing His Son, Himself, our righteousness, so that we can enter His presence for all eternity. We have all we need in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment