Monday, February 8, 2016

Ecclesiastes 5:1-3 - Measured Speech

Ecclesiastes 5:1-3
Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few. For the dream comes through much effort and the voice of a fool through many words.

Message: Measured speech

Time: Solomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

I have always enjoyed the Phillips Craig and Dean song, "Let My words be few." Fernando Ortega also has a song, "Let the Words of My Mouth" based upon Psalm 19:14 and Philippians 4:8. 

Let the words of my mouth
Be pleasing to You, pleasing to You
The meditation of my heart 
Be pleasing to you, pleasing to You 
Oh Lord, my strength and my Redeemer 
Whatever is true 
Whatever is pure 
Whatever is lovely 
Whatever is worthy 
Think on these things 
Think on these things 
Let the words of my mouth 
Be pleasing to You Pleasing to You

That is what I think of as I open up and read these words and think about my speech. With my staff last week, in our weekly meeting, we talked about kindness. It reminded me how ill my words are often. I even found myself speaking ill of my wife and had to apologize to her as my response was not at all kind. 

Entering His Courts
As we enter the House of God, may our words be few and our ears be wide open. Our focus needs to be more on listening than on speaking. I appreciate this so much about our church for the focus is supremely on worship and knowing God through Song and His message. But, it's not simply that, it's confessing sin and rejoicing in God's grace. Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil.

Isn't that interesting that fools do not know they are doing evil. They may even offer gifts 

Think before Speaking
Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few. Do not hasten with your mouth, weigh your words, think much, speak little. 

For the dream comes through much effort and the voice of a fool through many words. Dreams are generally about the business of the day, multiple words evidence a foolish heart. 

Promise: Be purposeful about what I say. 


No comments:

Post a Comment