Monday, February 29, 2016

Proverbs 20:18 - Our Need for Counsel

Proverbs 20:18 - Prepare plans by consultation, and make war by wise guidance.

Message: Our Need for Counsel

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

As a reminder, Proverbs are generally counsel given by parents to their children.

In this case, Solomon mentions that we are prepare plans by consultation. I am seeing that this can be a good thing and it can also be a not good thing. Right now, the issue we are having with my youngest son, who is 15, is that he is taking counsel from other 15 year old's in his life, and trusting their counsel over mine or my wife's. In this vein, it is causing us unrest because the counsel he is getting is not wise counsel. It is dangerous counsel that is putting him in precarious situations that he does not recognize as being unwise.

I just wish he would not take my counsel and consider it with a greater weight than his friends. It is a hard lesson to learn. Proverbs 1:7 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge."

I think of my other son who is often not taking the counsel of anyone, but instead living in the manner that he thinks is best. 

And in this same light, I believe Solomon is saying that if you must go to war, be wise about it. Think about others and consider the advice of many, make war by wise guidance. As we engage in spiritual warfare, we need to understand that we cannot do it alone. We need help. We need to seek the Lord and we need to seek the help of others in our life. I think it is also saying to not just plunge into war. I think I need to remember this and be careful about waging war, even as I relate to my children.

Promise: Take care in choosing the company we keep, always heed wise, godly advice.


No comments:

Post a Comment