Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Proverbs 16:9 - Sovereign Over Our Steps

Proverbs 16:9
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. 

Message: The Lord is sovereign over our steps

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

Part of me just doesn't want to see a verse like this again. I have looked at similar verses previously in this study of the wisdom literature, but this is the verse that came up in TableTalk today so I will address it again. There just remains this tension in life between God and what he does and man's responsibility. It's a message I read and know, but still struggle understanding. Maybe it is because I am accountant and like to know step by step how something is done. And with this issue, I must trust God.

I have intentions. I make plans. I choose certain courses of action. To be honest, I feel somewhat in control of what I do each day. I feel responsible for my choices. I know this is so, but as I read in TableTalk, God has the final say. Ultimately, he works things out according the counsel of His will. I have choices and I tend to make choices on what I think is best for me, at the time. And yet, even these choices I make, don't always have good outcomes. Sometimes these choices end up being bad choices. Granted, sometimes I am reckless and not careful, but I am thinking more of the times when I am intentional and yet my choices yield unfavorable experiences.

I think the idea is then that through all of those choices, while there is a right path and wrong path, nevertheless, God can teach me things through the path that I choose.

I also see another idea from this verse. "The Lord establishes my steps." He directs my steps. He knows what steps are best for me. Does that mean I stop and pray before every step? I do not think so, but I think it does mean I surrender to him daily and trust Him. Again, this is hard and sometimes hard to write out in step by step fashion. But, the important thing is to acknowledge that God's ways are the best ways. He will protect me. When I choose my paths or steps there are consequences. They are not always immediate, but I do see consequences.

But, again, this doesn't always mean good outcomes. Last week, I heard about an untimely death, in a man's life that was walking with God. He had back surgery and went to sleep afterwards. And he didn't wake up. Also that week I heard of a man, also serving God, that had a wife that died in a car accident. Can I really say that both of these paths were directed? Boy, I don't know. It seems hard. Tragedy strikes and yet the most important thing is both of these people are now with God in heaven. So, even those outcomes seemed untimely their destination is secure. I think this is what we must focus on. We must see the thankfulness and trust our Maker. In light of eternity mates with see one another again. But, it is still hard, and that is okay.

Promise: When I choose my paths or steps there are consequences. They are not always immediate, but I do see consequences. God will protect me as he directs my steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment