Monday, February 22, 2016

Proverbs 24:1-2 - Envying Evil Men

Proverbs 24:1-2
Do not be envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them; for their minds devise violence, and their lips talk of trouble.

Message: Do not envy evil men

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

This seems to be an obvious statement here that begins the 24th chapter of Proverbs. I am not to envy evil men. To envy is to desire something that I feel is better that what I have. Even if a person has it in mind to be envious, Solomon puts forth that the evil mind devises violence and their lips talk of trouble. 

While this is obvious, evil is personified in a very glamorous way in these times. A lot of evil behavior is now classified as acceptable behavior by our culture. Society accepts all different types of behavior now, so there are no more immediate or societal consequences for practicing this lifestyle that would be called evil. 

We are struggling with this verse right now in our family as my son is watching a friend engage in an evil practice and getting away with it. He has been doing it for 2 years and isn't getting in any trouble. So, my son thinks he is able to do the same practice. 

This is very difficult in raising children because they reach an age where they start engaging in different types of behavior. The counsel of their parents begins to not have the same level of respect or value as it did earlier. They are hearing and seeing different viewpoints and perspectives. They are liking things and not seeing immediate consequences. Sin is more widely accepted by society and society isn't punishing wrong behavior. I see myself with these problems. When there are no consequences I tend to think that the behavior is okay. It may be speeding on roads. Yet, even consequences may not curb the behavior. 

It's at times like these, that I continue to look at every possible resource to help educate my son, but most importantly, I drop to my knees and ask the Lord to intervene. My son's heart is what needs changed.

Promise: Proverbs are needed in our life. They are not always obvious. We need wisdom from above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment