Sunday, July 20, 2014

Romans 2:17-21a - Teaching Oneself

Romans 2:17-21a - 17 But if you bear the name “Jew” and rely upon the Law and boast in God, 18 and know His will and approve the things that are essential, being instructed out of the Law, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Law the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth, 21 you, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself?

Message: A person can have all the right ingredients in their life, in appearance, but are they complete? 

Time: Romans was probably written during Paul’s third missionary journey from Corinth to a Jewish/Gentile church in Rome (around 56-57 AD).

What the Lord is Saying:


Just as verses 14-16 expanded on verse 12, now verses 17-21 expand on verse 13. As a reminder, verse 13 stated, "for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God (the Jews), but the doers of the Law will be justified."

The reminder here is that it is still important to uphold the truths of teaching the Law and upholding the things of God, but teaching is not just for others benefits, it is also placing a mirror before us so that we can see ourselves. We are also shining a light back at us.

Yes we need to:

  • rely upon the Law
  • boast in God
  • know His will
  • approve the things that are essential
  • be instructed out of the Law
  • be a guide to the blind
  • a light to those who are in darkness
  • a corrector of the foolish
  • a teacher of the immature
  • knowing that the Law embodies all knowledge and truth

Yet, as we live to revel in these things, the greatest thing is to teach oneself. Yes, we want to serve others and know the truth, but most importantly, I need to realize that the standard is for me. The Law is for me. I boast in God so I don't boast in myself. I know His will so that I don't live life according to my will. I approve of those things that are only of God. My instruction comes out of the Law of God and His word. I am there for others, guiding those that can't see. I am to uphold the Word of God continually  in my life as there are so many living in darkness. I am to correct those that make foolish, unwise decisions. I am to teach those that can only handle milk. Again, I am to train myself by the Word of God for it embodies all that I need.

John MacArthur message - False Security
I read a message by John MacArthur on False Security which is what he had titled a sermon on verses 17-20. He states that every person places their security in something. Every person desires to believe that what they have decided to be true is true for them.

The first security here for the Jew was their heritage, "But if you bear the name Jew" in verse 17. For the Jew, just being called a Jew is often their security. For the non-Christian, growing up in a religious family is their security. But, God is clear that association to heritage isn't enough.

The second security is the Jews "rely upon the Law and boast in God, and know His will and approve the things that are essential, being instructed out of the Law," verse 17 and 18. This security is knowledge. They had the Law of God, they were instructed out of it, they had discerning, and they knew the difference between good and evil. To be instructed out of the Law is to receive the Law orally. The Greek word is katecheo or oral repetitious teaching or catechism. They had great head knowledge, but very little life change.

[It is interesting because this is what I perceive in many of the people that I associate with in my life. They can explain the gospel. They can explain grace. They can explain the necessity of confessing our sins. And yet there is very little life change.]

Just knowing is not our security. Our security is in doing. Verse 13 states that "it is not the hearers of the law that are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified."

[I'm thinking about this right now in the life of many of the people I know and in the life of my kids. One of the things I have noticed lately is the tension they live in, in the world of their church friends and non-church friends. And the way they dance between the two. I remember doing it. And I remember thinking it was no big deal. I felt like I could have both. I had the security of my faith and knew I needed that. But, I also enjoyed the time with the friends in my life. I even had non-Christian girlfriends that I dated, never thinking it was a big deal. And the reason I felt okay with being with the non-Christian is I focused on the relationship and the friendship and the comfort in that. And I think I believed that I could have both and be fine.]

The third security was their confidence in what they did. Verse 19 mentions "confidence." Verses 19 and 20 mention ways the Christian should live, but here, for the Jew, there security rested not in Christ, but in what they did. Paul mentions that "you yourself are a guide to the blind." Is there anything greater than taking someone who doesn't know and is blind to truth and showing them the right way? It is so easy to do this and then pay myself on the back for what I think I have done in giving them truth. But, what happens if what they are leading a person in is not correct?  And then they were "a light to those in darkness." This is very similar to being a guide to the blind. What is the big danger of a cult or starting a religion? It is being to take something and then convince someone else it is true. Verse 20, they saw themselves as "a corrector of the foolish." When someone can't make a right decision, they are corrected. And again great confidence comes about when a person corrects another. And also "a teacher of the immature." Education is taking a young mind that has little knowledge and giving them understanding. And finally, "having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and the truth." They had the sketch or drawing of what was right.

However, they lacked something, a changed life. Verse 21 turns a corner for Paul to ask the question, when you teach others, do you teach yourself? The true worshiper is one that has experienced a complete life change. This doesn't mean that everything in their life is lined up with God and doing His will, but the person has a desire for their life to be this way.

[This reminds me of people in my life. I have heard the story of the person who went to church, was a deacon, taught Sunday school, and then discovered at one point in their life that they weren't really a Christian. It is great to be a Sunday School teacher or go to church, but a life must be changed completely. I quickly think about the Mormon who has a knowledge and then seemingly has a changed life. And yet what I see is the concern that there changed life is out of duty rather than out of a relationship. I'm not saying completely with the Mormon because the family time that they have and focus on, I don't think is because they are trying to jump through a hoop necessarily and earn something. But, I also think of the person I was speaking to (Vero) and how he mentioned that he still loved mainstream music and things of the world. Yet, I see the same thing in me at times and in people I know.]

I must examine myself. I look at my life and I often expose things in my life that are not proper. I want to always be a teacher, but more importantly teach myself.
 
Promise: When Christ changes a life, he changes the entire life, inside and out. AND We must judge ourselves first before we go and judge others.


No comments:

Post a Comment