Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Romans 2:24 - Blaspheming God's Name

Romans 2:24 - For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” just as it is written.

Message: Our creed is to represent Christ the best way we know how and yet, through our sin, God's name is used by us in vain. 

Time: Romans was probably written during Paul’s third missionary journey from Corinth to a Jewish/Gentile church in Rome (around 56-57 AD).

What the Lord is Saying:

This is probably, in my opinion, one of the most compelling verses in the Bible. After the Jew is confronted with their words of upholding their faith, Paul shows them that their lives don't mirror their talk and ultimately, because of this, God's name is profaned among the very people that the Jews know need God the most--the Gentiles. And this is the problem today of so many Christians (and me).

How often in my life do I do things, in front of others, that are contrary to the person I am (or should be) in Christ? How often do my actions not reflect Christ? Or in any way present Christianity? I do things and then immediately regret them. And there are hidden sins I commit that I just hope no one finds out about. And yet if even my immediately family discovered them I would be ashamed. But, the bottom line in all of this is not that my name would be dragged through the mud and I would look bad, the fact is My Savior and Lord's name would be profaned. That is the biggest problem.

Now, it is very true, that no one can be perfect and so on one level, no person should be looking at another person expecting them to never sin.

I remember when I worked in the summer of 1989 in Myrtle Beach at the International Golf Club. The managers knew the three of us coming to work there were from a Christian organization and they loved to catch us doing things they defined as sin. We might have gotten angry or hurt ourselves and cried out with a word exclaiming our pain. But, there was one man especially, Jerry, that would always giggle a little when we said something that he thought was not an attribute of being a Christian. 

I remember my dad sharing with me that while he was working at the hospital one of the pastors at the church we were attending made the comment to him regarding a patient he was visiting in the hospital and how he could talk to my dad because the "person was going to die" and my dad took it as it wasn't necessary for him to be in a hurry with this patient.

I think of the atheist friend I speak to online that has told me that he doesn't like the way people present themselves as being so pious in the church when he knows their lives don't mirror this presentation. Or he states that Christianity can't be real when there are all of these people throughout history killing others in the name of God.

So, while I don't think Paul is saying that Jesus should be judged by the actions of man because no man is perfect. Nevertheless, man should be trying to live his life the best way possible.

I notice myself acting in a comprising way often at work where I might say something negative towards my boss or gossip in the workplace in order to be in agreement with someone or even get a laugh. I need to see that God's name is blasphemed because of my behavior.

Promise: (From TableTalk) -- The Bible is clear that until we are glorified, we will always fail at some level to practice what we preach. Non-Christians will take advantage of this and always use our failures as cause to blaspheme the Lord, and there is not much we can do about it. However, if we are open about our failures and are careful to never promise sinlessness in this life, we can render their criticisms wholly illegitimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment